Work and displacement physics problem

In summary, the problem states that Susan exerts a force of (2.2 N)i + (1.1 N)j on her dog to keep it from running away. The work she does on the dog depends on the displacement of the dog, which is given by d. The work done can be calculated using the dot product of F and d. Whether the work is zero or not depends on the direction of the displacement and the force exerted by Susan.
grouchy
To keep her dog from running away while she talks to a friend. Susan pulls gently on the dog's leash with a constant force given by F = (2.2 N)i + (1.1 N)j . How much work does she do on the dog if its displacement is

a) d = (.25 m ) i
b) d = (.25 m ) j
c) d = (-.50 m)i + (-.25 m ) j

My main problem is whether or not I need to combine the force or simply W = Fd. Thx for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if we assume that she exerts a force such that the dog remains stationary, the net work done is zero.

however, if the force she exerts brings the dog to her, the we must mutiply the force exerted in this direction with the magnitude of the displacement of the dog from her.

In your above question, you should find the magnitude of the force she can exert and then multiply it by the distance the dog is from her.

I guess the d values in the question say the dog does not remain stationary.

Hi grouchy,

The problem implies that the dog underwent vector displacement d while the given force F was acting on it. Then work done is simply the dot product or the scalar product of F and d. I presume you know how to find that.

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance over which the force is applied. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force.

2. How is work calculated in a displacement physics problem?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object is displaced in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. What is the relationship between work and displacement?

The relationship between work and displacement is that work is directly proportional to displacement. This means that as displacement increases, so does work, and vice versa.

4. Can work be negative in a displacement physics problem?

Yes, work can be negative in a displacement physics problem. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. It indicates that energy is being transferred from the object to the external force.

5. How does displacement affect the amount of work done on an object?

Displacement affects the amount of work done on an object because it determines the distance over which the force is applied. The greater the displacement, the more work is done on the object. This is because a larger displacement requires a larger amount of energy to be transferred to the object by the force.