Are there any basic formulas for motion in kinematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of basic formulas for motion in the kinematics chapter of a course. The formulas include V = u+at, (V^2) = (u^2) + 2as, and s = ut + 0.5a(t^2). The conversation also clarifies that V1 and V2 are used for initial and final velocity, while D represents displacement. The conversation then moves on to solving a problem using the given formula V2^2 = V1^2 + 2ad. The correct steps for rearranging the formula are shown, resulting in the final formula of d = ((V2^2) - (V1^2))/2a. The conversation also
patrickking
I have no idea if this is the right forum but I am doing the kinematics chapter in 2204 and I was wondering if anyone had the bassic forumlas for motion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yea, try :

V = u+at

(V^2) = (u^2) + 2as

s = ut + 0.5a(t^2)

Where,

u = initial velocity
v = final velocity
s = distance (or more correctly displacement)
a = acceleration
t = time

In my corse we use V1 and V2, D is Displacement, Is this like V1= U, V2=V and D=S?

Last edited:
The given information to the simple problem I am trying to complete is V1=10, A=1, V2= 15 and D=?. I just lost my formula sheet and I am lost.

Yea its same thing as you've put there, and as for the first question you would use,

(v2^2) = (v1^2)+2ad

and rearrange for d

So to rearrange for D would you use D= (V1^2) + 2a over (V2^2)? I used that and ended up with 0.4 for my answer, I don't believe that's correct?

This is all in Meters per second also.

Nope that's wrong, rearrange it in these steps :

(v2^2) = (v1^2)+2ad

You want to clear everything off the right hand side to leave d on its own, so start by moving (v1^2) :

(v2^2) - (v1^2) =2ad

And now divide both sides by 2a, and so :

(v2^2) -(v1^2) = 2ad

((v2^2) -(v1^2))/2a = 2ad/2a

to get :

((v2^2) -(v1^2))/2a = d

As you can see the 2a on the right hand side cancels when you divide that side by 2a

And yea everythign is in SI units so that's meters per second, meters, seconds etc

OK I did that and came out with 125 m/s which I think looks like it may be correct. But I'm not sure.

Not quite, you only divided by a, when its supposed to be divide by 2*a
And d is a distance so its measured in just m, m/s is for velocity

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. This means that to calculate speed, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. This means that to calculate acceleration, you need to subtract the initial velocity from the final velocity and then divide by the time it took to change velocities.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

4. How do I calculate displacement?

The formula for displacement is displacement = final position - initial position. This means that to calculate displacement, you need to subtract the initial position of an object from its final position.

5. What is the equation for calculating time?

The equation for calculating time is time = distance / speed. This means that if you know the distance an object has traveled and its speed, you can calculate how long it took to travel that distance.