Proving Equivalence of a Relation on Real Numbers

In summary, the problem is that the person is trying to prove that R is an equivalence relation, but they are not following the steps correctly. They are trying to check three properties of the relation, but they are not doing them in the correct order. The first two properties are easy to check, but the third one is not.
Doom of Doom
So, here is the problem:

Let [tex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/tex],
[tex]R=\{{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^{2}|x= y r^{2}[/tex], for some [tex]r \in\mathbb{R}\}[/tex].

Prove that [tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Relevant equations:

[tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] if
1. [tex](x,x)\in R[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]
2. [tex](x,y)\in R[/tex] implies [tex](y,x)\in R[/tex]
3. [tex](x,y)\in R[/tex] and [tex](y,z)\in R[/tex] imples [tex](x,z)\in R[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so obviously [tex]R[/tex] is reflexive, because [tex]x=x\cdot 1^{2}[/tex].

But what if [tex]x=0[/tex] and [tex]y\neq 0[/tex]? Then [tex]0=y\cdot 0^{2}[/tex], so [tex](0,y)[/tex] is in the set.
However, [tex]y=0 \cdot r^{2}[/tex], is only true if y is zero.
Therefore, (y,0) is not in the set if y is not zero.

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doom of Doom said:
So, here is the problem:

Let [tex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/tex],
[tex]R=\{{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^{2}|x= y r^{2}[/tex], for some [tex]r \in\mathbb{R}\}[/tex].

Prove that [tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex].

Relevant equations:

[tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] if
1. [tex](x,x)\in R[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]
2. [tex](x,y)\in R[/tex] implies [tex](y,x)\in R[/tex]
3. [tex](x,y)\in R[/tex] and [tex](y,z)\in R[/tex] imples [tex](x,z)\in R[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so obviously [tex]R[/tex] is reflexive, because [tex]x=x\cdot 1^{2}[/tex].

But what if [tex]x=0[/tex] and [tex]y\neq 0[/tex]? Then [tex]0=y\cdot 0^{2}[/tex], so [tex](0,y)[/tex] is in the set.
However, [tex]y=0 \cdot r^{2}[/tex], is only true if y is zero.
Therefore, (y,0) is not in the set if y is not zero.

Am I missing something here?
I don't see why you are doing that at all! It has nothing to do with any of the three properties you are checking.

What that tells you is that 0 is equivalent only to itself. That's okay.
Of course, we must have 0R0 for any equivalence relation by the reflexive law. But there is nothing that says 0 has to be equivalent to any thing else. The "prototype" equivalence relation "= " has the property that every number is equivalent only to itself!

You have done the "reflexive" property. Now look at the other two.

Symmetry: If xRy, then x2= ry2 for some number r. Can you then show that yRx? That is, can you find a number r' such that y2= r' x2? (Important point: you have already shown that 0 is equivalent only to itself. If x is NOT 0, then r is not 0!)

Transitivity: If xRy, then x2= r y2. If yRz, then y2= r' z2. Can you then show that xRz? That is, can you find a number r" such that x2= r" z2? Once again, dead easy!

I'll bet you could have done this easily if you hadn't allowed yourself to be sidetracked by the fact that 0 is equivalent only to itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I still don't see how zero is only equivalent to itself.

What am I doing wrong?

Let x=0, y=1.
I chose r such that [tex]x=y\cdot r^{2}[/tex] (namely, r=0), or [tex]0=1\cdot 0^{2}[/tex].
Then, by the definition of the relation, 0~1.

The problem would simplify if r were not allowed to be zero, namely for some [tex]r\in \Re[/tex] and [tex]r\neq 0[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
What that tells you is that 0 is equivalent only to itself. That's okay.
Of course, we must have 0R0 for any equivalence relation by the reflexive law. But there is nothing that says 0 has to be equivalent to any thing else. The "prototype" equivalence relation "= " has the property that every number is equivalent only to itself!

Symmetry: If xRy, then x2= ry2 for some number r. Can you then show that yRx? That is, can you find a number r' such that y2= r' x2? (Important point: you have already shown that 0 is equivalent only to itself. If x is NOT 0, then r is not 0!)

0 isn't only equvalent to itself, 0 is equivalent to everything because if we let r=0 then 0=y*r2 for all y in R, thus the pair (0,y) belongs to the equivalence relation for all real y, but then the relation is not symmetric because for any nonzero y, (y,0) does not belong to the equivalence relation. Thus the relation can't be an equivalence relation.

Ok, well I emailed my professor and he hasn't responded back. For now, I'm just going to assume that he meant to let:

[tex]R=\{{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] | [tex]x= y\cdot r^{2}[/tex], for some [tex]r \in \mathbb{R}[/tex], [tex] r\neq0\}[/tex].

Then R is an equivalence relation on the reals, no?

I'll just go ahead with the proof from there.

1. What is a simple equivalence relation?

A simple equivalence relation is a type of mathematical relation that defines a relationship between two elements in a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

2. How is a simple equivalence relation different from other types of equivalence relations?

Unlike other types of equivalence relations, a simple equivalence relation does not have any additional properties or restrictions. This means that it is the most basic and general form of an equivalence relation.

3. What are some examples of simple equivalence relations?

Some examples of simple equivalence relations include the relation "is equal to" on the set of integers, the relation "is congruent to" on the set of triangles, and the relation "is parallel to" on the set of lines.

4. How is a simple equivalence relation represented?

A simple equivalence relation is typically represented using set notation, where the relation is defined as a set of ordered pairs of elements that are considered equivalent.

5. What is the significance of simple equivalence relations in mathematics?

Simple equivalence relations are fundamental to many areas of mathematics, including set theory, algebra, and topology. They help to establish connections between different mathematical objects and allow for the development of important concepts such as partitions and quotient sets.