Light travelling towards a black hole

The central singularity is the point of infinite density, while the event horizon is the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. This means that light cannot escape from the black hole, but it does not mean that the wavelength becomes infinitely small. In summary, the event horizon of a black hole is the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, and it does not necessarily correspond to infinite density or infinitely small wavelengths.
jamesbolt
I think I am wrong in what I am about to say so I someone could explain relatively simply where I went wrong I would be thankful...

When light travels towards a black hole it's wavelength increases it's frequency and decreases it's wavelength due to the increase in energy. Because a black hole is infinitely dense when light gets close enough the energy provided by the infinite density (ie infinite energy) would mean the wavelengths would get infinitely close...

If this is true then theoretically there should be a boundary of electromagnet energy that cannot get closer because the wavelength is infinitely close...
Is this true? Or have I missed something?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesbolt said:
Because a black hole is infinitely dense...

You are confusing the central singularity with the event horizon.

1. How does light behave when it travels towards a black hole?

As light travels towards a black hole, its path will be affected by the extreme gravitational pull of the black hole. This can cause the light to bend and distort, making it appear to curve around the black hole. Eventually, the light will reach a point where it cannot escape the black hole's gravity and will be pulled in.

2. Will light be completely absorbed by a black hole?

Yes, once light reaches the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it will be completely absorbed and cannot escape. This is because the gravity of the black hole is so strong that even light, which travels at the speed of 299,792,458 meters per second, cannot escape its pull.

3. Can light escape from a black hole?

No, once light enters the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. However, there are some rare cases where light can escape from the vicinity of a black hole, such as through a process called gravitational lensing.

4. How does the speed of light change near a black hole?

The speed of light remains constant near a black hole, but its path will be affected by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole. This can make it appear as though the light is moving slower or faster from an outside perspective, but the speed of light itself remains constant.

5. Can light travel faster than the speed of light near a black hole?

No, the speed of light is constant and cannot be exceeded. However, near a black hole, the path of light can appear to be distorted, giving the illusion of faster or slower travel. But no object, including light, can travel faster than the speed of light.