What Are Rosen Coordinates in Gravitational Wave Analysis?

• Thread starter CoordinatesPLZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, coordinate conversion between Rosen and Cartesian coordinates is possible, but there are terms left over after the conversion.
CoordinatesPLZ
I see a number of gravitational wave analytic solutions with the metric given in terms of Rosen coordinates. I have no idea what these coordinates are. How do I perform a coordinate transformation from Rosen coordinates to traditional (t,x,y,z) Euclidean\Cartesian coordinates? Also, is there a difference between Rosen coordinates and Eisenstein-Rosen coordinates?

Thanks
CoordinatesPLZ

Physics news on Phys.org
A coordinate system for the description of gravitational plane waves:

ds2 = 2 du dv + gij(u) dyi dyj.

As opposed to Brinkmann coordinates for the same wave:

ds2 = H(u) du2 + 2 du dv + dx2 + dy2.

Here's a reference
that discusses both, and how to convert one to the other.

That doesn't directly answer my question. Also, I am not familiar with Brinkmann coordinates. If we suppose the line element in Rosen coordinates in flat space-time is:

ds2=2 du dv+dy12+dy22

Then we can deduce the possible coordinate mapping to Cartesian coordinates of

t = (u-v)/√2
x = y1
y = y2
z = (u+v)/√2,

Assuming a <-1,1,1,1> metric signature

Is this the correct mapping from Rosen coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

CoordinatesPLZ said:
That doesn't directly answer my question.
Sorry. What IS your question? You say you want to know what Rosen coordinates "are", but that question has no answer. Coordinates in a curved spacetime do not always have a simple interpretation.

CoordinatesPLZ said:
Also, I am not familiar with Brinkmann coordinates.
If you're interested in gravitational waves, you should learn about Brinkmann coordinates. Rosen coordinates have several drawbacks. One: they are not unique. Two: they can develop coordinate singularities (caustics). That's why they are not generally used.

CoordinatesPLZ said:
If we suppose the line element in Rosen coordinates in flat space-time is:

ds2=2 du dv+dy12+dy22
That's one possibility. Here's another instance of a plane wave in Rosen coordinates that is also flat:

ds2 = 2 du dv + u2(dy12 + dy22)

CoordinatesPLZ said:
Then we can deduce the possible coordinate mapping to Cartesian coordinates of

t = (u-v)/√2
x = y1
y = y2
z = (u+v)/√2,

Assuming a <-1,1,1,1> metric signature

Is this the correct mapping from Rosen coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?
In a flat spacetime, (u, v, y1, y2) are called light-cone coordinates, and (t, x, y, z) are called Minkowski coordinates. The terms Euclidean and Cartesian do not apply!

My problem is I have a formula for the metric tensor in Rosen coordinates and I would like the metric tensor in Minkowski spacetime. To go from one to the other I need the coordinate mapping, thus, how do I transform the coordinates from Rosen coordinates to Minkowski Coordinates?

CoordinatesPLZ said:
My problem is I have a formula for the metric tensor in Rosen coordinates and I would like the metric tensor in Minkowski spacetime. To go from one to the other I need the coordinate mapping, thus, how do I transform the coordinates from Rosen coordinates to Minkowski Coordinates?
Can't be done. A gravitational wave is a curved spacetime, and Minkowski coordinates exist only in flat space. You can't turn a curved spacetime into a flat spacetime just by changing the coordinates. A gravitational wave is not just Minkowski space written in some weird set of coordinates.

You can certainly do the z = (u + v)/√2, t = (u - v)/√2 thing if you like, and that will make at least part of the metric look more familiar, but there will be terms left over.

1. What are Rosen Coordinates?

Rosen Coordinates are a mathematical coordinate system used to describe the position of a point in space. They were developed by physicist Nathan Rosen in the 1930s as an alternative to the more commonly used Cartesian coordinate system.

2. How do Rosen Coordinates differ from Cartesian Coordinates?

While Cartesian Coordinates use three axes (x, y, and z) to describe the position of a point in space, Rosen Coordinates use four axes (t, x, y, and z). The t-axis represents time, allowing for the inclusion of time as a dimension in the coordinate system.

3. What is the significance of including time in Rosen Coordinates?

Including time as a dimension in the coordinate system allows for a more accurate description of the position and movement of objects in space. It also aligns with Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are interconnected.

4. How are Rosen Coordinates used in science?

Rosen Coordinates are primarily used in the fields of physics and astronomy to describe the position and movement of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. They are also used in the study of space-time and the theory of relativity.

5. Are Rosen Coordinates still used today?

Yes, Rosen Coordinates are still used in scientific research and calculations, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. They are also used in computer simulations and modeling to study the behavior of objects in space.