Best Way to Learn Calculus on My Own?

• Thread starter mrnike992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the best way to learn calculus on your own is to join a group and free up some time for at least 1 hour each week. It is also helpful to have someone check your work and to use resources such as Paul's Notes and online courses. However, it is generally easier to learn in a group and have outside input to gain a better understanding of the subject.
mrnike992
Trying to learn calculus on my own. No, I do not have a lot of free time. Yes, I am probably the first person in the universe to *want* to learn calculus, especially on my own. Any good books/websites? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to learn calculus on your own is to free up some time and join a group.
i.e. the best way is to not do it on your own, with limited free time.

To make good headway, you want a disciplined approach with someone to check your work. You'll want at least 1 hour each week ... formal courses usually have 3 contact hours a week and another two non-contact working on problem solving.

At that rate, it takes most people about a third to half a year to get proficient at 1st-year University level.

Still, you can start out by yourself. Since you are keen and sound inspired you should be able to cover the basics quite fast.

What level of education are you starting at?
What level are you aiming at?

You'll need some notes:
Paul's Notes are generally helpful with the ideas, there are also online college courses that are very good ... but you also need exercises.

Math is Fun pages try to be less serious about the whole thing. BUt if you are dedicated and rally don't have a lot of time, you can try one of the crash courses people offer.

Note: calculus is normally taught alongside linear algebra.
You need to decide what you want to learn for and how serious you are.

The courses online vary a lot so you will need to shop around to match the teachng style to your learning style.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
The best way to learn calculus on your own is to free up some time and join a group.

Out of curiosity, do you believe it is always better to learn math in a group, or do you think you can teach yourself the subject? I'm curious because I am currently attempting to teach myself algebra and trigonometry (and eventually calculus).

It is possible to teach yourself a subject - but if you do not have the outside input, it is much harder.
It is always best to learn in groups - the experience of explaining stuff to other people is how you gain understanding in a subject.

Learning any subject on your own can be a challenging but rewarding experience. In order to successfully learn calculus on your own, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. If you feel confident in these subjects, then there are several resources that can help you in your journey to learning calculus.

Firstly, textbooks such as "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart or "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart are highly recommended for self-study. These textbooks provide clear explanations and examples, as well as practice problems with solutions.

In addition to textbooks, there are many online resources that can supplement your learning. Websites such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free online courses and lectures on calculus. These resources can provide a structured learning experience and allow you to practice your skills through quizzes and assignments.

Another helpful tool for learning calculus on your own is a study group or online forum where you can discuss and solve problems with other learners. This can provide a sense of community and support as you navigate through the subject.

Lastly, it is important to allocate dedicated and consistent study time in your schedule. Even if you do not have a lot of free time, setting aside a specific time each day or week to focus on learning calculus will help you stay on track and make progress.

In summary, learning calculus on your own is definitely possible with the right resources and dedication. It may be a challenging journey, but with determination and perseverance, you can successfully grasp the concepts and excel in the subject. Good luck!

1. What are some resources to help me learn calculus on my own?

There are many resources available to help you learn calculus on your own. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and study guides. It is important to find a resource that suits your learning style and provides clear explanations and practice problems.

2. How much time should I dedicate to learning calculus on my own?

The amount of time needed to learn calculus on your own varies for each person. It is recommended to dedicate at least 1-2 hours each day to studying and practicing problems. However, it is important to also take breaks and not overwork yourself.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to learn calculus on my own?

Having a strong foundation in basic math, such as algebra and trigonometry, is important for learning calculus. However, many resources for self-learning calculus provide a review of these topics as well. It is helpful to have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts before diving into calculus.

4. What are some tips for effectively learning calculus on my own?

Some tips for learning calculus on your own include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, practicing regularly, seeking help from online forums or tutors, and staying motivated and persistent.

5. Can I master calculus by learning on my own?

Yes, it is possible to master calculus through self-learning. However, it requires dedication, time, and practice. It is important to also seek help and resources when needed and not get discouraged by challenges. With determination and hard work, you can successfully learn calculus on your own.