Newt Gingrich declares: This is WWIII

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Newt Gingrich said that the current events in the Middle East are not just the result of the recent war, but have been going on for 58 years. He also said that the Israelis withdrew from Gaza to create the circumstance of peace, and that the US should be helping Syria and Iran break the back of Hezbollah.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This morning on Meet the Press he cited many events of recent months and declared that these are the early stages of WWIII. Quote to be provided when available.

True or not, I hope Bill Clinton is working behind the scenes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, and he's one of its jubilant proponents. Gingrich, that is.

Ivan Seeking said:
. . . he cited many events of recent months and declared that these are the early stages of WWIII.
It is indeed a shame that so many people are invested in assuring conflict in the world. I have to wonder why people consciously choose to hurt other people.

While I have been in fights with my brother and others, and in the heat of combat, tried to hurt the opponent, outside of combat I have never had the desire to hurt another person. Quite the opposite, I have consciously tried to prevent other people from hurting themselves or others. This I learned from my father, and this I was taught as part of religious instruction.

Blessed are the peace makers. :smile:

Peace - Salaam - Shalom.

... personally I think that's a huge exagerration... this has been going on forever, why would this time be any different?

We live in interesting times

To be blunt - why should anyone care what Gingrich thinks? This statement of his is both obviously loony, and irresponsibly fearmongerish. As thus it undermines the significance real and present crisis.

Rach3 said:
To be blunt - why should anyone care what Gingrich thinks? .
Well, why should anyone care what GWB jr. thinks?
Answer: Unfortunately, he is in a position where he is unignorable..

arildno said:

Evidence for this: I think as a thinker he doesn't rise above a joke. But I can't resist posting on this thread about him!

arildno said:
GWB maybe, but Newt is not in any position right now, and quite ignorable.

Never heard of the guy, so I'll just ignore him...

EL said:
Never heard of the guy, so I'll just ignore him...
Well, there was a time you couldn't ignore Ian Wachtmeister, wasn't it?

Newt always struck me as one of the guys who can't wait to tear down the Al-Aqsa Mosque so we can get on with the Rapture. :grumpy:

arildno said:
Well, there was a time you couldn't ignore Ian Wachtmeister, wasn't it?
Haha, that was a sad story in Swedish politics...
So you're telling me Gingrich is US' equivalent to Ian Wachtmeister? What a poor figure he must be then...

Never heard of either of them... :tongue:

J77 said:
Never heard of either of them... :tongue:
You havn't missed anything...:wink:

EL said:
Haha, that was a sad story in Swedish politics...
So you're telling me Gingrich is US' equivalent to Ian Wachtmeister? What a poor figure he must be then...
Intellectually at least, if not politically.

... And now, joining us in Washington, Democratic senator Joe Biden, former Republican Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. Welcome, both.

Mr. Speaker, what are we witnessing in the Middle East?

MR. NEWT GINGRICH: Well, let me, let me offer three observations. First, this is not the fifth day of the war. This is the 58th year of the effort by those who want to destroy Israel. As Ahmadinejad, the head of Iran, says, he wants to defeat the Americans and eliminate Israel from the face of the earth. So we should not see this event in isolation. There is an Iran/Iraq/Syria—I mean, an Iran/Syria—was an Iraq before Saddam was replaced—Syria, Hezbollah and Hamas alliance trying to destroy Israel.

Second, the Israelis withdrew from Gaza to create the circumstance of peace. The Israelis withdrew from south Lebanon to create the circumstance of peace. They now have a thousand missiles fired from Gaza, they’ve had hundreds of missiles fired from south Lebanon. You clearly have Iranian involvement, there are at least 400 Iranian guards in south Lebanon. Apparently it was an Iranian missile fired by Iranians which hit an Israeli warship yesterday. The United States should be saying to Syria and Iran, “South Lebanon is going to be cleared out. We are for Israel and the Lebanese government breaking the back of Hezbollah, getting rid of all 10,000 to 13,000 missiles, and we will decisively stop any effort by Syria and Iran to intervene.”

I mean, this is absolutely a question of the survival of Israel, but it’s also a question of what is really a world war. Look what you’ve been covering: North Korea firing missiles. We say there’ll be consequences, there are none. The North Koreans fire seven missiles on our Fourth of July; bombs going off in Mumbai, India; a war in Afghanistan with sanctuaries in Pakistan. As I said a minute ago, the, the Iran/Syria/Hamas/Hezbollah alliance. A war in Iraq funded largely from Saudi Arabia and supplied largely from Syria and Iran. The British home secretary saying that there are 20 terrorist groups with 1200 terrorists in Britain. Seven people in Miami videotaped pledging allegiance to al-Qaeda, and 18 people in Canada being picked up with twice the explosives that were used in Oklahoma City, with an explicit threat to bomb the Canadian parliament, and saying they’d like to behead the Canadian prime minister. And finally, in New York City, reports that in three different countries people were plotting to destroy the tunnels of New York.

I mean, we, we are in the early stages of what I would describe as the third world war, and frankly, our bureaucracies aren’t responding fast enough, we don’t have the right attitude about this, and this is the 58th year of the war to destroy Israel. And frankly, the Israelis have every right to insist that every single missile leave south Lebanon and that the United States ought to be helping the Lebanese government have the strength to eliminate Hezbollah as a military force, not as a political force in the parliament, but as a military force in south Lebanon.

MR. RUSSERT: This is World War III?

MR. GINGRICH: I, I believe if you take all the countries I just listed, that you’ve been covering, put them on a map, look at all the different connectivity, you’d have to say to yourself this is, in fact, World War III. [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13839698/

The only solice these days comes from hearing both dems and reps slam Bush. Of course the damage is already done.

Last edited:
What a poor way to start a case for presidency. Though I guess he may not run at all. He did manage to say 'our bureaucracies are not responding fast enough'. Isn't that an oxymoron? And what is the definition of connectivity?

My best estimate is he is paving the way for a new line of Republicans, maybe a more dove-like contingency, to make a run at the whitehouse and the senate.

Sunday's "Meet the Press" was Best Debate in 10 Years

For those of your who were fortunate enough to see Sunday's "Meet the Press" program hosted by Tim Russert, it was nothing short of a "Presidential Debate" between Senator Joe Biden and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. It was a no rhetoric nuts and bolts discussion.

The program echoed recent revellations that Hezbollah is a far more advanced and infiltrated organization than Al Queda. I was never convinced after 911 that Al Queda deserved the terror threat the Bush White House painted of them, and continues to today. But, Hezbollah, as the militant arm of Syria and Iran, this is REAL!

The topic and the mid-East conflict is very serious, and the two politicians debated in substantive form, agreeing on much of the foreign policy challenges facing the world. The key difference was in Gingrich's hawkish statement he would have hit N. Korea first weeks back when they launched a series of missiles. Biden spoke differently that such a U.S. attack would have caused N. Korea to invade the South. Gingrich also charply criticized the Bush White House.

I gave the advantage to Biden on the 30 minute debate, mostly for his more carefully thought out plans. Gingrich was well informed, but seemed willing to take on too many risks and assumptions.

So I ask, "Tis the pen mightier than the sword?"

i agree, we do live ininteresting times

and yes it is, you can sign a contract with a lawyer, but if you are killed, the swordman will go away for life.

should isreal decleare all out war, or cease fire?

is america the worlds moderator, must we intervene in every small scuffle, or every world war? :confused:

Plastic Photon said:
My best estimate is he is paving the way for a new line of Republicans, maybe a more dove-like contingency, to make a run at the whitehouse and the senate.
Surely you jest on the "dove-like"? He wants to bust out the phoenix.

should isreal decleare all out war, or cease fire?
And I bet if Israel declares cease fire, all other parties will stop firing too. :rolleyes:

I think they would slow down quite a bit; and if Israel fully withdrew from Palestinian land, they would continue to slow down to the point that they would eventually stop.

kyleb said:
I think they would slow down quite a bit; and if Israel fully withdrew from Palestinian land, they would continue to slow down to the point that they would eventually stop.

So when Israel withdrew from the Gaza strip... did they stop?

Not really. It looks like they just took the opportunity to build up their reserves

While Israel withdrew from the Gaza strip they contenued to occupy and expand elsewhere.

McGyver said:
For those of your who were fortunate enough to see Sunday's "Meet the Press" program hosted by Tim Russert, it was nothing short of a "Presidential Debate" between Senator Joe Biden and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. It was a no rhetoric nuts and bolts discussion.

MTP is often great. This may have something to do with the fact that it has been running for over 58 years.

Sidebar: I sure hope Russert doesn't let Andrea Mitchell host again.

And Novak is such a lying weasel. Go on and read his transcript. :rolleyes: But that's another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
And who their right mind honestly believes Syria has the power to pull that off? :rolleyes:
George W. Bush.

Oh, I missed the "right mind" caveat. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Well, tell them to "stop doing this sh't" is our foreign policy. :rolleyes:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1767800.cms
As usual, such remarks reflect the real Bush. Anyone who voted for Bush who does not now admit he is an embarrassment to our country is in major denial. And I'd like to know how the religious-right can continue to view Bush as a good, God-fearing man. Because he vetoed stem-cell research? :rolleyes: He is an ignorant jerk, and unfortunately a very powerful one thanks to his supporters. Newt is right about one thing. If there is WWIII, it will be because of BushCo stupidity.

Well then we're done. It really is that easy.

Let's tell the Iraqis as much and everyone can come home.