Impossible: Ideas, Actions & More

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing and listing impossible tasks and actions, with participants jokingly attempting to accomplish them. Some of the mentioned impossible tasks included marrying a specific person, playing a sax solo while kicking a football on an escalator, and reading a newspaper without rolling your eyes. The conversation also touched on the concept of imagination and the limitations of certain impossibilities, such as Godel's theorem.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How many impossible things, actions, what ever, can you think of?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it is impossible for me to marry Yasmeen Ghauri. Does that count?

Changing a duvet cover in the back of a moving caravan.

Playing the sax solo from Gerry Rafferties Baker street while kicking a football up an escalator.

Opening a bag of Doritoes whilst standing in a hammock.

Being right in an argument against an angry woman.

Reading a copy of The Daily Mail without rolling your eyes, regardless of how right or left wing you are.

Unicycling backwards across a tight rope juggling whilst drunk.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:

:rofl:

Write an SMS with your feet.

wolram said:
I can't think of any.

Ralph Wiggum said:
Me fail English, that's unpossible!

nothing? is that the right answer? this is a guidance counseling session right?

Creating a star with your hands.

It's not hard to think of something impossible.

wolram said:
You mean, how many before breakfast ? :tongue2:

It is impossible to pull out a quark out of an hadron.

JasonRox said:
Creating a star with your hands.

It's not hard to think of something impossible.

i can do that

humanino said:
It is impossible to pull out a quark out of an hadron.
that too

Working in the yard without getting injured.

Teaching a snake to tap-dance.

To comb a hairy sphere flat

Millions upon billions upon trillions

For example - listing them all.

wolram said:

At least one.

Turning your hand one direction, and the same foot the other (for example, turn your left hand clockwise and your left foot CCW).

CompuChip said:
Turning your hand one direction, and the same foot the other (for example, turn your left hand clockwise and your left foot CCW).
I can do it.

Evo said:
I can do it.

Hey, me too, I just tried it out!

CompuChip, think of something better, please. :tongue:

Anyone can do it.

Turn left-hand cw
stop
Turn left-leg ccw
stop

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Changing a duvet cover in the back of a moving caravan.

Playing the sax solo from Gerry Rafferties Baker street while kicking a football up an escalator.

Opening a bag of Doritoes whilst standing in a hammock.

Reading a copy of The Daily Mail without rolling your eyes, regardless of how right or left wing you are.

Unicycling backwards across a tight rope juggling whilst drunk.

1 out of 6, not bad :smile:

wolram said:
1 out of 6, not bad :smile:
Which one ? :rolleyes:

Licking my own hear. Actually, I can't even lick my own elbow.

Swimming up to the Moon.

Sending taste and/or odor in my messages on PF. But do I really want that ?

Finding a bra that fits.

Danger said:
Teaching a snake to tap-dance.
Now that's impossible, but not as impossible as teaching a snake to lap dance.

As Cantor once said, some things are more impossible than others.

Wearing your pants on your head and going to take an exam.

radou said:
Wearing your pants on your head and going to take an exam.
That is not, strictly speaking, impossible. Very unlikely, I admit it. :smile: Unlikely things are easy to imagine :
  • Spending one day without PF ? :devil:
  • Finding a serious thead in GD ? (ok, that was inappropriate :uhh:)
  • Writing more than 10k lines of code in a day, compiling, and finding to your great delight that you have no bug :cry:

Another impossible thing :
Eating beef wings

humanino said:
That is not, strictly speaking, impossible. Very unlikely, I admit it. :smile:

I know. But it's still impossible. :tongue:

Okay, okay. Putting on a forest fire with a screwdriver.

You are all very wrong. Everything above that has been listed as being impossible are all actually possible. Literally, in the last 3 minutes, I was able to accomplish all of them.

RetardedBastard said:
You are all very wrong. Everything above that has been listed as being impossible are all actually possible. Literally, in the last 3 minutes, I was able to accomplish all of them.

Oh, and how did your exam go? :smile:

it's called imagination folks

RetardedBastard said:
Everything above that has been listed as being impossible are all actually possible.
I think Evo will be the one most eager to hear how you managed to do all those. :tongue2:

ice109 said:
it's called imagination folks
I do not think we lack imagination. Combing a hairy sphere flat is definitely impossible, as it is a well defined statement. You will not be able to pull a quark out of an hadron either. Why ? Because it is self-contradictory. There is no lack of imagination in that.

Try to find a way out of Godel's theorem if you have so much imagination. Otherwise, it will provide you with yet another impossible thing to do. To prove it is impossible, Godel used a lot of imagination.

humanino said:
I think Evo will be the one most eager to hear how you managed to do all those. :tongue2:

Wha? Everone else was listing an impossible task, and I listed on myself :tongue2:

radou said:
Oh, and how did your exam go? :smile:

Let's just say, it took me longer to post this sentence than to complete the exam :)

humanino said:
I do not think we lack imagination. Combing a hairy sphere flat is definitely impossible, as it is a well defined statement. You will not be able to pull a quark out of an hadron either. Why ? Because it is self-contradictory. There is no lack of imagination in that.

Try to find a way out of Godel's theorem if you have so much imagination. Otherwise, it will provide you with yet another impossible thing to do. To prove it is impossible, Godel used a lot of imagination.

hey now if i say i can a vanishing continuous tangent vector field on a sphere than it is so! proving it is another matter altogether, and as far as i know hadron is a collection of quarks so i can easily pull a quark out of a hadron.

besides i think you guys are forgetting where we are, this is GD. I'm not in the least bit serious about any of this.

At this time none. Why? Because I realize that an infinite number of things are impossible and to begin counting (even just one) is pointless, so I didn't bother.

<h2>1. What is "Impossible: Ideas, Actions & More"?</h2><p>"Impossible: Ideas, Actions & More" is a book written by the scientist and author, Stephen Hawking. It explores the concept of impossibility and how it has been challenged and overcome throughout history.</p><h2>2. What topics are covered in the book?</h2><p>The book covers a wide range of topics including physics, mathematics, philosophy, and history. It also delves into the realms of science fiction and imagination.</p><h2>3. Who is the target audience for this book?</h2><p>The book is written for a general audience, but it may be particularly interesting to those who are curious about the limits of human knowledge and the possibilities of the future.</p><h2>4. What makes this book unique?</h2><p>This book is unique because it combines scientific concepts with philosophical ideas and historical examples to explore the concept of impossibility in a thought-provoking and accessible way.</p><h2>5. What can readers expect to gain from reading this book?</h2><p>Readers can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the concept of impossibility and how it has been challenged and overcome throughout history. They will also be encouraged to think about the possibilities of the future and the power of human imagination.</p>

1. What is "Impossible: Ideas, Actions & More"?

"Impossible: Ideas, Actions & More" is a book written by the scientist and author, Stephen Hawking. It explores the concept of impossibility and how it has been challenged and overcome throughout history.

2. What topics are covered in the book?

The book covers a wide range of topics including physics, mathematics, philosophy, and history. It also delves into the realms of science fiction and imagination.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is written for a general audience, but it may be particularly interesting to those who are curious about the limits of human knowledge and the possibilities of the future.

4. What makes this book unique?

This book is unique because it combines scientific concepts with philosophical ideas and historical examples to explore the concept of impossibility in a thought-provoking and accessible way.

5. What can readers expect to gain from reading this book?

Readers can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the concept of impossibility and how it has been challenged and overcome throughout history. They will also be encouraged to think about the possibilities of the future and the power of human imagination.