How to use CGNS file & create

• Thread starter madhukarcgste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, using a CGNS file involves downloading and installing the appropriate software, opening the file, understanding its structure, and then adding and saving the necessary data.
madhukarcgste
How to use CGNS file & create...

Physics news on Phys.org
madhukarcgste said:
How to use CGNS file & create...
You're probably better off asking that on a software forum. I don't really know what this software is for (Something to do with databases from what I've just glimpsed) but if you look through there site there seems to be extensive documentation and a users guide. Maybe start there?
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/cgns/user/index.html
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/cgns/index.html

What exactly is it you're trying to do?

PS: Title spelling fail. :P

Edit: Nevermind, this seems to be a software forum too! (Just saw Computer and Technology section)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Using a CGNS file is a multi-step process, but I'll try to break it down for you.

1. First, you'll need to download and install a software package that can handle CGNS files. Some popular options are CGNSview, Tecplot, and OpenFOAM.

2. Once you have the software installed, you can open the CGNS file by using the "File" menu or by dragging and dropping the file into the software.

3. Next, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the structure of the CGNS file. It is organized into a hierarchy of nodes and sub-nodes, similar to a tree structure. Each node contains specific information about the geometry, mesh, and solution data.

4. To create a new CGNS file, you can either use a template provided by the software or create a new file from scratch. Make sure to save your file with the .cgns extension.

5. To add data to your CGNS file, you can use the software's interface to input values for each node. This can include things like geometry dimensions, mesh parameters, and solution data.

6. Once you have all the necessary data in your CGNS file, you can save it and use it for further analysis or simulations.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. How do I open a CGNS file?

To open a CGNS file, you will need to use a software program that supports the CGNS format, such as ANSYS Fluent or Tecplot. Once you have the program open, you can import the CGNS file by selecting the appropriate option in the file menu.

2. How do I create a CGNS file?

To create a CGNS file, you will need to use a software program that supports the CGNS format and has the ability to output files in this format. Most computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software programs have this capability. You can usually find the option to export or save your file as a CGNS file in the file menu.

3. What is the purpose of a CGNS file?

A CGNS file is used to store data related to computational fluid dynamics simulations. This includes information about the geometry, mesh, boundary conditions, and numerical results. The purpose of a CGNS file is to provide a standardized format for storing and exchanging this type of data between different software programs.

4. How do I access data within a CGNS file?

To access data within a CGNS file, you will need to use a software program that supports the CGNS format and has the ability to read and interpret the data. This can usually be done through the program's file menu or by using specific commands within the program.

5. Can a CGNS file be edited?

Yes, a CGNS file can be edited using a text editor or a specialized software program. However, it is important to note that making manual changes to a CGNS file can be complex and may result in errors. It is best to make changes through the software program that created the file, if possible.