Ball attached to String (Potential Energy)

In summary, the gravitational potential energy of a 2.40 kg ball attached to a ceiling by a 2.00 m long string, with a room height of 3 m, is: a) -23.52 joules when measured relative to the ceiling b) 23.52 joules when measured relative to the floor c) 0 joules when measured relative to a point at the same elevation as the ball.
goluigi2196

Homework Statement

A 2.40 kg ball is attached to a ceiling by a 2.00 m long string. The height of the room is 3 m. What is the gravitational potential energy of the ball relative to:

a) the ceiling?

b) the floor?

c) a point at the same elevation as the ball?

Variables
P for potential energy
m for mass in kg
g for gravity
h for height

Homework Equations

P=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

For b), I found the answer which was 23.52.

For a), though, I got 70.56 because P=(2.4)(9.8)(3)=70.56. The 3 is from the fact that the ceiling is 3m off the ground and a) is asking about the ceiling. It says that I'm wrong

For c), I don't have any idea of what they're talking about. Is it the same thing as b)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is always relative. Potential energy is defined as the potential energy of one point, vs. the potential energy at another point. The equation, more precisely, should be written [tex]U = mg \Delta h[/tex] for some different in height [tex]\Delta h \equiv h - h_0[/tex].

Usually the 'reference' point ([tex]h_0[/tex]) is taken to be "zero height" ([tex]h_0 = 0[/tex]), and that is often either sea-level, or ground-level, or floor-level, etc.

goluigi2196 said:
For a), though, I got 70.56 because P=(2.4)(9.8)(3)=70.56. The 3 is from the fact that the ceiling is 3m off the ground and a) is asking about the ceiling. It says that I'm wrong
While the ceiling is 3m off the ground ([tex]h_0 = 3[/tex]), it is only 1m away from the ball (the ball is what you're finding the potential energy of). h = 3m - 2m = 1m

goluigi2196 said:
For c), I don't have any idea of what they're talking about. Is it the same thing as b)?
If they're asking for the potential of the ball with respect to something at the same height, what is the difference in height [tex] \Delta h[/tex]?

ok, so I did 2.4(9.8)(1)=23.52 for a). i still get it wrong...

and for c), do i just do 2.4(9.8)(2) because it's the inverse?

goluigi2196 said:
ok, so I did 2.4(9.8)(1)=23.52 for a). i still get it wrong...
Sorry, forgot to highlight a key point. In this case, the ball is lower than the reference point. I.e. [tex]\Delta h = h - h_0 = 2m - 3m[/tex]

goluigi2196 said:
and for c), do i just do 2.4(9.8)(2) because it's the inverse?
Its not the inverse problem. Its asking what is the potential difference between something at h = 2m, and a reference point at [tex]h_0[/tex] = 2m

goluigi2196 said:
..attached to a ceiling by a 2.00 m long string

How far is it between ball and ceiling? Ball and floor?

so will a) be negative because 2-3=-1? therefore, will the answer be -23.52?

and will c) be zero because 2-2=0 and 2.4(9.8)(0)=0?

@vespa71

the problem said the ceiling to the floor was 3m

a) will be negative becaus there's a 2! meter negative drop from the ball to the ceiling. c) is zero as there's no drop. Well done.

:smile:I recommend to make a simple drawing to visualize the problem. Best of luck

well ok, i did 2.4(9.8)(-1). that gives me -23.52. it still tells me I'm wrong :confused:

oh and thanks for c). i got it right.

If you have a -2m drop from ball to ceiling, and a 1m drop from ball to floor, and a 0m drop from ball to somthing on the same level, I think it will solve.

1. What is potential energy in relation to a ball attached to a string?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In the context of a ball attached to a string, potential energy refers to the energy stored in the system when the ball is raised to a certain height above the ground.

2. How is potential energy calculated in this scenario?

The potential energy of a ball attached to a string is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ball above the ground.

3. Does the potential energy of the ball change as the string is pulled back?

Yes, the potential energy of the ball changes as the string is pulled back. As the ball is raised to a higher height above the ground, its potential energy increases. When the string is released and the ball falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

4. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. In the case of a ball attached to a string, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when the ball is released and falls to the ground. Potential energy can also be converted into thermal energy, electrical energy, or chemical energy, depending on the situation.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its potential energy?

The mass of the ball directly affects its potential energy. The greater the mass of the ball, the greater its potential energy will be at a given height. This is because the formula for potential energy includes the mass of the object as a factor. So, a heavier ball will have more potential energy than a lighter ball when placed at the same height above the ground.