Is your information destroyed when you reach the singularity

In summary, the information is plastered on the event horizon, and ultimately retrieved when the event horizon shrinks to the schwartschild radius and the singularity explodes.
jadrian
from my understanding from an observer in the universe, your information is plastered on the event horizon, and ultimately retrieved when the event horizon shrinks to the schwartschild radius and the singularity explodes. please coreect me if I am wrong on that.

if the singularity does not destroy your information, won't this represent a duplication of information and violation of conservation of information?

Physics news on Phys.org
In semi-classical gravity (quantum matter, fixed curved spacetime) information is destroyed. Organized stuff goes in and comes back out as thermal radiation - the famous Hawking radiation. This isn't due to the singularity, but to the event horizon, which is the point of no return.

It is widely thought that this should not happen in a fully quantum mechanical theory like string theory. However, whether this is so is unclear. One proposal is Mathur's fuzzball proposal.

atyy said:
In semi-classical gravity (quantum matter, fixed curved spacetime) information is destroyed. Organized stuff goes in and comes back out as thermal radiation - the famous Hawking radiation. This isn't due to the singularity, but to the event horizon, which is the point of no return.

It is widely thought that this should not happen in a fully quantum mechanical theory like string theory. However, whether this is so is unclear. One proposal is Mathur's fuzzball proposal.

i don't really see how under any circumstances information can be destroyed. you crossing the event horizing will lead to mass increase in the black hole, which is information. but since inside the event horizon is not part of the universe, and suskind proved that the information will remain in the universe, i don't see any problem other than duplication of matter assuming the singularity eventually releases everything once the event horizon shrinks to the schwartschild radius and your mass outside the event horizon will add to your mass within the horizon.

I'm pretty sure there is no singularity. Objects don't spiral into the center of a black hole for the same reason that electrons don't spiral into the nucleus. There's some ground state there.

1. Is the concept of "information" still relevant in the singularity?

Yes, the concept of information is still relevant in the singularity. However, it may take on a different form or be processed and stored differently than we are currently familiar with.

2. Will all information be destroyed in the singularity?

It is difficult to say with certainty. The singularity is a hypothetical event and its impact on information is still unknown. Some theories suggest that all information may be transformed or merged into a new form, while others propose that some information may be lost or destroyed.

3. Can information be preserved in the singularity?

Again, it is uncertain. Some scientists believe that advanced technologies in the singularity may allow for information to be preserved indefinitely, while others argue that the constant evolution and merging of technologies may make preservation impossible.

4. How will the singularity affect the storage and processing of information?

The singularity is often described as a point of rapid and exponential technological growth. This could lead to advancements in information storage and processing capabilities that are beyond our current understanding.

5. Can we control what happens to our information in the singularity?

It is difficult to predict the level of control humans will have in the singularity. Some experts believe that advanced technologies may allow for greater control, while others argue that the singularity may lead to a loss of human agency in regards to information.