Register to reply

Water's role in biological catalysis?

by hivesaeed4
Tags: biological, catalysis, role, water
Share this thread:
hivesaeed4
Dec18-12, 04:21 AM
P: 217
Why is water required to be present in biological processes involving catalysis. I read that online and the way it was written made it look sort of obvious ( like, duh ) but I don't understand it. Help?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
Borek
Dec18-12, 06:08 AM
Admin
P: 23,528
All biological processes evolved in water solutions, so the presence of water is taken as granted. Doesn't mean some of them can't be replicated in different solvents, but I suppose they will be much slower, as water has very particular properties.
Ygggdrasil
Dec18-12, 10:37 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,384
Biological catalysts (for the most part, enzymes) are complex polymers that must fold into a specific shape in order to perform their function. Much of the energy driving the folding of these polymers into the correct shape comes from the hydrophobic effect, which forces non-polar regions of the polymer toward the interior of the structure and polar regions toward the exterior. In non-aqueous solutions, these polymers will not fold correctly and therefore will not be able to catalyze any reactions.

hivesaeed4
Dec22-12, 03:08 AM
P: 217
Water's role in biological catalysis?

Thanks guys.

Register to reply