Topic in Theoretical Materials Science

In summary: Basically, I have submitted proposals to both DOE and NSF. I am not really sure what their agenda is, to be honest. They just seem to be interested in funding theoretical materials science research. I am not sure if they are specifically looking for alternative energy research, or if that is just a byproduct of doing materials science research in general.In summary, the author is applying for a master's degree in physics, and is interested in theoretical materials science. However, he is unsure of where to start because the research involved in this field is heavily computationally-based. He has submitted proposals to both the Department of Energy (DOE) and the National Science Foundation (NSF), but is not sure what
schrodingerscat11
Greetings!

I just finished my bachelor's degree in physics. I am now applying for a master's degree in physics. My bachelor's thesis was an experimental study about aerosol. I am planning to shift to theoretical physics. However, I want my topic to be related to materials science, specifically about alternative energy such as solar power, hydrogen storage, etc. I am just confused on where to start. Is there any problem/topic related to the above-mentioned where researchers are needed?

Also, all theoretical materials science research articles I found involve computational techniques. Is it possible to do theoretical materials science using the typical pen and paper methods of theoretical physics (i.e. purely mathematical and not computational)?

Thank you very much and sorry if the questions seem silly. I am not very sure on what I am talking about. Hehe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theory for materials science does tend to be pretty computation-heavy. There's just so little in the way of analytic solutions that theorists' work tends to be about thinking up clever ways of modelling complex systems for running efficient simulations, doing Monte Carlo trials, etc. So, I don't think you will find much in the way of 'pen and paper' theory in the world of materials science.

You might want to look into theory of condensed matter physics (TCM). Whereas materials science is essential applied physics—and thus more interested in specific calculations—TCM tends to be a bit more foundational. Many theorists there also do mostly computational work, but there are also plenty of people in TCM working on some pretty deep mathematics. The trade-off, of course, is that by working on foundational issues you're more removed from specific applications like alternative energy. This is something you aren't going to be able to avoid: to closer you want to be to specific engineering problems, the more the work is applied physics and, by definition, the less it has to do with developing the theory.

Likes commodorekitty
Thank you very much for your reply. I have now some idea of my choices. I am not really a mathematical dude. In fact, I am a visual learner and enjoy programming immensely. I just hate the idea that in both experimental and computational fields, I always have to rely on external funding to be able to get the equipments or computer workstations that I need. Usually, this external supporters have their own research agenda in mind, and I have to sacrifice a bit of my autonomy as a researcher in order to get the infrastructure I need. I was hoping that by going into theory, I can get absolute independence as a researcher. Thanks again. :)

Unfortunately, even the most 'old school' pen-and-paper theorists are still subject to departmental and funding (people still have to eat, after all) constraints. So, do what interests you. In any case, what good is academic freedom in some field when you'd prefer to be doing something else anyways?

physicsjn said:
Thank you very much for your reply. I have now some idea of my choices. I am not really a mathematical dude. In fact, I am a visual learner and enjoy programming immensely. I just hate the idea that in both experimental and computational fields, I always have to rely on external funding to be able to get the equipments or computer workstations that I need. Usually, this external supporters have their own research agenda in mind, and I have to sacrifice a bit of my autonomy as a researcher in order to get the infrastructure I need. I was hoping that by going into theory, I can get absolute independence as a researcher. Thanks again. :)

Wait.. You said that you've just completed your B.Sc and about to start your Masters. So how are you able to have a clear idea on what is involved in getting "external funding"? How many funding proposals have you submitted, and to whom? DOE? NSF? What are the "research agenda" do those agencies have would hinder your plan?

Zz.

LastOneStanding said:
Unfortunately, even the most 'old school' pen-and-paper theorists are still subject to departmental and funding (people still have to eat, after all) constraints. So, do what interests you. In any case, what good is academic freedom in some field when you'd prefer to be doing something else anyways?

Thanks. Yeah, you are right in that last thing you said. Hm. It kinda cleared my mind a bit. :)

ZapperZ said:
Wait.. You said that you've just completed your B.Sc and about to start your Masters. So how are you able to have a clear idea on what is involved in getting "external funding"? How many funding proposals have you submitted, and to whom? DOE? NSF? What are the "research agenda" do those agencies have would hinder your plan?

Zz.

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I was able to enter my reply before I lost my connection. I just saw this now. Well, I have been eyeing the academe since my BS and thus, I am observing my professors. I've seen them making proposals. I have attended research writing proposals. So I have seen partly how it works. The "research agenda" per se wouldn't really hinder my plan totally. It is just that I have to align my research to what is "in" for the agencies, something related to the environment, energy, or health. These topics are okay with me. But what about the future? What if the agencies would want people to research on something I won't really want to work on and I would be forced to do it because the money is there? This thought bothers me a bit.

physicsjn said:
Sorry for the late reply. I thought I was able to enter my reply before I lost my connection. I just saw this now. Well, I have been eyeing the academe since my BS and thus, I am observing my professors. I've seen them making proposals. I have attended research writing proposals. So I have seen partly how it works. The "research agenda" per se wouldn't really hinder my plan totally. It is just that I have to align my research to what is "in" for the agencies, something related to the environment, energy, or health. These topics are okay with me. But what about the future? What if the agencies would want people to research on something I won't really want to work on and I would be forced to do it because the money is there? This thought bothers me a bit.

This is a faulty understanding of funding topics. Look at what DOE and NSF have funded just the past year to convince yourself how wrong you are.

You really shouldn't be so free to draw up such conclusion, all based on 2nd hand superficial understanding of the situation.

Zz.

1. What is Theoretical Materials Science?

Theoretical Materials Science is a branch of materials science that uses mathematical and computational models to study the properties and behavior of materials. It aims to understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What are the main areas of research in Theoretical Materials Science?

The main areas of research in Theoretical Materials Science include the study of materials properties, such as electronic, magnetic, and mechanical properties, as well as the prediction and design of new materials with specific properties.

3. How does Theoretical Materials Science contribute to the development of new materials?

Theoretical Materials Science plays a crucial role in the development of new materials by providing insights into the underlying principles that govern the behavior of materials. This allows scientists to predict and design new materials with specific properties, which can then be synthesized and tested in the laboratory.

4. What are some common computational methods used in Theoretical Materials Science?

Some common computational methods used in Theoretical Materials Science include density functional theory, molecular dynamics simulations, Monte Carlo simulations, and quantum mechanics calculations. These methods help to model and predict the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How does Theoretical Materials Science impact other fields of science and technology?

Theoretical Materials Science has a significant impact on other fields of science and technology, such as nanotechnology, materials engineering, and semiconductor technology. It provides a foundation for understanding and designing materials with specific properties, which can then be applied in various industries and technologies.