Integrating with Imaginary Numbers: A Closer Look at Trig Substitutions

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating the function dx/sqrt(x^2-1) using trigonometric and hyperbolic substitutions. The use of complex numbers is also mentioned, but it is cautioned that it may not lead to a nice solution. The importance of being careful with variable changes and considering different cases is emphasized.
cragar
This is not homework I was wondering if I had to integrate
[itex] \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} [/itex]
Instead of doing the normal trig substitution what if I used
[itex] sin(u)^2-1=-cos(u)^2 [/itex] x=sin(u) dx=cos(u)du
But when I make the substitution I will get a negative sign under the radical, could I just pull it out as i and then some how extract the real part. How would I do it with the i in their.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could but you have to keep it - unless you have any reason to believe that the solution is to do with the real part (why not the imaginary part?)

OR, you could use ##x=\sec\theta## and ##1+\tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta##

If you want a faster way than a normal trig substituion, try a hyperbolic substitution. [itex] x=\cosh t [/itex]and [itex] dx=\sinh t dt [/itex] and use the identity [itex] \cosh^2{t}-\sinh^2{t}=1 [/itex].

I would like to learn how to do this with complex numbers, ok if I leave the i in their, how would I transform it in the end to get my answer. isn't [itex] cos(ix)=cosh(x) [/itex] or maybe we could do something with eulers formula.

No idea since I'd never do it that way - if x=sin(u) then u=arcsin(x) ... so you'll have an arcsin and an i in the final form to simplify out. But I don't think there are nice results from that integration anyway.

cragar said:
I would like to learn how to do this with complex numbers, ok if I leave the i in their, how would I transform it in the end to get my answer. isn't [itex] cos(ix)=cosh(x) [/itex] or maybe we could do something with eulers formula.

You have to be more careful with your approach to this integral. You can't just set ##x = \sin t## without thinking about it. There are several cases you have to consider.

First, is x greater or less than 1?

If it's less than 1, ##\sqrt{x^2-1}## is imaginary, so you can just pull a minus sign out and integrate ##-i/\sqrt{1-x^2}## using your trigonometric substitution, though you still have to be careful, because ##\sqrt{1-\sin^2t} = |\cos t|##, not just ##\cos t##, so you need to worry about the sign of t as well.

Now, if x is greater than one, then in the change of variables ##x = \sin t ## , t is necessarily complex (or at least imaginary). Otherwise, ##\sin t \leq 1##. Your integral then has a square root of a potentially complex number, and you can't just start pulling out i's or minus signs. You may need to worry about branch cuts and so on, as well as the appropriate interpretation of the integral now that you are integrating over a non-real variable t. The hyperbolic substitutions avoid all of these issues, of course.

The trig substitutions are taught as a kind of quick sleight-of-hand aren't they?
The standard lessons don't mention this stuff - and don't normally need to because it tends to come out in the wash for the problems chosen.
It tends to be when students try to extend the techniques beyond the lessons that it gets noticeable.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph or the accumulation of a quantity over a continuous interval. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is commonly used in calculus.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a general solution with a constant of integration.

What is the purpose of using "i" in an integral?

The use of "i" in an integral is to denote the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1. It is commonly used in complex analysis and allows for the integration of functions with complex values.

How do you solve an integral with "i"?

To solve an integral with "i", one can use the traditional methods of integration such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. However, the presence of "i" may result in the use of complex numbers and techniques specific to complex analysis.

What are some real-life applications of integrals with "i"?

Integrals with "i" have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, in electrical engineering, integrals with "i" are used to calculate the voltage and current in AC circuits. In quantum mechanics, they are used to describe the wave function of a particle. In economics, they are used to model the relationship between supply and demand curves.