Right to strike for government employee

• Thread starter MaxManus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, I don't think that the government employee in the United States has the right to strike when other employees in the United States have the right. From my experience, the union has mostly functioned as a lobbying group. As to how effective this is for us, I have no idea.
MaxManus
Why doesn't the government employee in USA have the right to strike when other employees in the usa have the right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's true. What makes you think so?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_federal_employees_strike
No, per 5 USC 7311, An individual may not accept or hold a position in the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia if he- (1) advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (2) is a member of an organization that he knows advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (3) participates in a strike, or asserts the right to strike, against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia; or (4) is a member of an organization of employees of the Government of the United States or of individuals employed by the government of the District of Columbia that he knows asserts the right to strike against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia.

I never knew this. I always thought that Reagan firing the FAA controllers was on the basis of something like 'safety related jobs aren't allowed to strike', not such a broad overarching rule

MaxManus said:
Why doesn't the government employee in USA have the right to strike when other employees in the usa have the right?

I would think public safety would be the first concern. I've often wondered why Government employees need union representation? Doesn't the Government typically follow labor laws?

I misunderstood the OP: didn't realize you meant federal government only.

In either case, insofar as a "strike" is just a bunch of people walking off a job, as a practical matter it can't really be outlawed. However, at the same time if you don't show up for work, your boss can just fire you, like Reagan did. Not sure that it really mattered that what the FAA workers did violated a law.
I always thought that Reagan firing the FAA controllers was on the basis of something like 'safety related jobs aren't allowed to strike'...
How 'bout: "you annoy me: you're fired!"?

enosis_ said:
I would think public safety would be the first concern. I've often wondered why Government employees need union representation? Doesn't the Government typically follow labor laws?

From my experience, the union has mostly functioned as a lobbying group. Since we can't strike or argue over pay, they use the fact they represent a little over a quarter million employees as their bargaining chip. As to how effective this is for us, I have no idea.

MarneMath said:
From my experience, the union has mostly functioned as a lobbying group. Since we can't strike or argue over pay, they use the fact they represent a little over a quarter million employees as their bargaining chip. As to how effective this is for us, I have no idea.

I thought there were more Government union employees than 250,000? Don't the postal union (AFL-CIO) members number nearly that many?

http://www.unionfacts.com/union/American_Postal_Workers

russ_watters said:
I misunderstood the OP: didn't realize you meant federal government
In either case, insofar as a "strike" is just a bunch of people walking off a job, as a practical matter it can't really be outlawed. However, at the same time if you don't show up for work, your boss can just fire you, like Reagan did.

Yes but that is an argument against strikes in general, the question is why federal employees can't strike.

enosis_ said:

Not sure what you mean with public safety, is it more important for the safety a washington bureaucrat does not strike than doctors? The government employees doesn't need striking as in we need water to survide but striking power helps to increase wages.

MaxManus said:
Not sure what you mean with public safety, is it more important for the safety a washington bureaucrat does not strike than doctors? The government employees doesn't need striking as in we need water to survide but striking power helps to increase wages.

Are doctors unionized?

MaxManus said:

Wouldn't a walk out of Government workers cause the Government not to function?

What is the right to strike for government employees?

The right to strike for government employees refers to the legal right of government workers to participate in collective action, such as work stoppages or protests, in order to negotiate better working conditions and wages.

Are all government employees allowed to go on strike?

No, not all government employees have the right to strike. The laws and regulations regarding the right to strike vary by country and can also differ depending on the specific job or agency within the government.

What is the process for government employees to go on strike?

The process for government employees to go on strike may differ depending on the laws and regulations in their country. In general, it often involves a vote by the workers' union to authorize a strike, followed by a notice to the government employer and potential negotiations before the strike can take place.

Can government employees be fired for going on strike?

It is possible for government employees to be fired for going on strike, depending on the laws and regulations in their country. However, in many cases, there are protections in place for employees participating in lawful strikes, such as the right to reinstatement after the strike ends.

What are the potential consequences of a government employee strike?

The consequences of a government employee strike can vary and may depend on the specific circumstances and laws in place. Some potential consequences may include disruptions to government services, financial losses for the government, and negotiations between the government and the striking employees. In some cases, strikes may also lead to changes in working conditions or wages for government employees.