Trigonometric Equations: Solutions for sin θ = cos θ and sin θ = -3 cos θ

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the equation $\sin^2 \theta + 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta - 3 \cos^2 \theta = 0$ can be factored into $(\sin \theta + 3 \cos \theta)(\sin \theta - \cos \theta) = 0$, giving solutions of $\theta = \frac{\pi}{4} + 2\pi k, k \in \mathbb{Z}$ or $\tan \theta = -3$, with solutions of $\theta = 5.03 + 2\pi k, k \in \mathbb{Z}$ or $\theta = 1.89 + 2\pi k, k \in
cscott
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sin^2 \theta + 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta - 3 \cos^2 \theta = 0 \\
(\sin \theta + 3 \cos \theta)(\sin \theta - \cos \theta) = 0 \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

so,

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sin \theta = \cos \theta\\
\theta = \frac{\pi}{4} + \pi k, k \epsilon \mathbb{I}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sin \theta = -3 \cos \theta\\
\tan \theta = -3\\
\theta = 5.03 + 2\pi k, k \epsilon \mathbb{I}; 1.89 + 2\pi k, k \epsilon \mathbb{I}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

How come this is incorrect?

...argh I can't align it properly :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a x b = 0 doesn't mean both a and b are zero, although they could be. It simply means at least one of them is zero for the product to be zero.

cscott said:
[tex]\begin{align*}
\sin \theta = \cos \theta\\
\theta = \frac{\pi}{4} + 2\pi k, k \epsilon \mathbb{I}
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Here, you can get all solution by taking pi/4 + k*pi instead of 2k*pi.

TD said:
Here, you can get all solution by taking pi/4 + k*pi instead of 2k*pi.

Oops, I had that written down but I made the mistake when posting!

Does this mean you say pi/4 is a correct answer? When I plug it back into the original equation I don't get 0 :frown:

How's that?

[tex]
\sin ^2 \theta + 2\sin \theta \cos \theta - 3\cos ^2 \theta \mathop \to \limits^{\theta = \pi /4} \left( {\sin \frac{\pi }{4}} \right)^2 + 2\sin \frac{\pi }{4}\cos \frac{\pi }{4} - 3\left( {\cos \frac{\pi }{4}} \right)^2 = \frac{1}{2} + 2 \cdot \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2} \cdot \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2} - 3 \cdot \frac{1}{2} = 0
[/tex]

TD said:
How's that?

[tex]
\sin ^2 \theta + 2\sin \theta \cos \theta - 3\cos ^2 \theta \mathop \to \limits^{\theta = \pi /4} \left( {\sin \frac{\pi }{4}} \right)^2 + 2\sin \frac{\pi }{4}\cos \frac{\pi }{4} - 3\left( {\cos \frac{\pi }{4}} \right)^2 = \frac{1}{2} + 2 \cdot \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2} \cdot \frac{{\sqrt 2 }}{2} - 3 \cdot \frac{1}{2} = 0
[/tex]

OK, I'm just bad at typing things into my calculator then! That's what I get for using it in the first place o:)

By the way, can anyone tell me how to align things properly with tex? For some reason using "\\" won't skip lines for me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It will if you use an array:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
x^2 - 4 = 0 \\
x = 2 \vee x = - 2 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Code:
\begin{array}{l}
 x^2  - 4 = 0 \\ 
 x = 2 \vee x =  - 2 \\ 
 \end{array}

Doh! Thanks again!

You're welcome :smile:

What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to find the value of an unknown angle or side length in a triangle.

What is the difference between sin θ = cos θ and sin θ = -3 cos θ?

The main difference between these two equations is the coefficient of the cosine function. In the first equation, the coefficient is 1, while in the second equation, the coefficient is -3. This means that the two equations will have different solutions for θ.

How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, you can use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and solving for a variable. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equations and find the solutions.

What are the solutions for sin θ = cos θ?

The solutions for this equation are θ = π/4 + 2πn and θ = 5π/4 + 2πn, where n is any integer. This means that there are infinitely many solutions for this equation.

What are the solutions for sin θ = -3 cos θ?

The solutions for this equation are θ = 2.8198 + 2πn and θ = 3.4633 + 2πn, where n is any integer. This means that there are also infinitely many solutions for this equation, but they are different from the solutions of sin θ = cos θ.