A rather moo-seful invention

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invention
In summary: I've see those machine on TV. A disinfection/cleaning step has been included in the program. Also, the milk is analyse while the cow is being milked. It will check the temperature, fat content,...
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Guardian said:
Robotic Voluntary Milking Systems, which are increasingly popular, let cows decide when they need to be milked, rather than submitting them to the grind of twice-daily milking that is the routine on most dairy farms. The technology has been pioneered by Dutch engineers, who say it is the perfect solution to farming's cow conundrum.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/innovations/story/0,16539,1606900,00.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how long it will be before the bulls get jealous and demand an equivalent device for themselves. :biggrin:

I'm sending that link to my cousin. She and her husband run a dairy farm. I wonder if they already know about it...

Danger said:
I wonder how long it will be before the bulls get jealous and demand an equivalent device for themselves. :biggrin:

As they line up to be milked, a laser-guided robot locates the cow's udder and then latches on to its teats.

I predict the newest stunt for farm kids will be to take the id tag from a cow, put it on a bull, and send him into the milking shed. :biggrin:

Btw, has anyone here ever gone cow tipping?

It doesn't say anything about how this device disinfects the udder before milking, or how it would detect a cow with mastitis...even with automatic milking machines, there's always a person present to disinfect the udder and do a visual inspection to ensure the cow is fit to be milked. Otherwise, if you have a cow with an infection and she gets milked anyway, you're dumping the entire day's worth of milk unless this machine also stores the milk from each cow separately until tested and mixed.

Moonbear said:
It doesn't say anything about how this device disinfects the udder before milking, or how it would detect a cow with mastitis...even with automatic milking machines, there's always a person present to disinfect the udder and do a visual inspection to ensure the cow is fit to be milked. Otherwise, if you have a cow with an infection and she gets milked anyway, you're dumping the entire day's worth of milk unless this machine also stores the milk from each cow separately until tested and mixed.
I would say that the cows would still need a daily manual inspection, but as only someone that has nursed can tell you, I bet those machines are a cow's best friend. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I would say that the cows would still need a daily manual inspection, but as only someone that has nursed can tell you, I bet those machines are a cow's best friend. :biggrin:

:redface: :bugeye: :confused: :bugeye: :redface:

Guys, you disappoint me. This was supposed to turn into a horrific cow pun session.

Who turned down the central heating? It's bloody fresian in here.

brewnog said:
Guys, you disappoint me. This was supposed to turn into a horrific cow pun session.
Who turned down the central heating? It's bloody fresian in here.

What ever next, cows look forwards to the touch of a human hand tweeking
their teats, mechanisation can go to far, they allready suffer AI, i say leave
the poor cows alone and let them have some fun before they get eaten.
I think i will get some teat tweeking lessons, never know when it will come in handy.

wolram said:
I think i will get some teat tweeking lessons,
A crowded subway is a great practice ground. :devil:

wolram said:
What ever next, cows look forwards to the touch of a human hand tweeking
their teats, mechanisation can go to far, they allready suffer AI, i say leave
the poor cows alone and let them have some fun before they get eaten.
I think i will get some teat tweeking lessons, never know when it will come in handy.

You don't eat dairy cows.

Danger said:
A crowded subway is a great practice ground.

Amen my brother.

brewnog said:
Guys, you disappoint me. This was supposed to turn into a horrific cow pun session
Holy cow! What an udderly a-moo-sing story! :biggrin: Better?

No. :tongue:

franznietzsche said:

You have a lot to learn.

Moonbear said:
Holy cow! What an udderly a-moo-sing story! :biggrin: Better?

If by better you mean not, then why yes of course. But if you were not speaking in fact of the antithesis of what you were speaking, then well no of course not you silly person-thing you.

Moonbear said:

I've seem those machine on TV. A disinfection/cleaning step has been included in the program. Also, the milk is analyse while the cow is being milked. It will check the temperature, fat content, electrical conductivity and colour (presence of blood or yellow secretion).

iansmith said:
I've seem those machine on TV. A disinfection/cleaning step has been included in the program. Also, the milk is analyse while the cow is being milked. It will check the temperature, fat content, electrical conductivity and colour (presence of blood or yellow secretion).
Cool. Hmm...that seems to offer even more benefit than just convenience for the cow to analyze the milk like that.

franznietzsche said:
Amen my brother.

Silly me, of course we bury them, and it is all lies that the only part we don't eat is the moo :smile:

iansmith said:
Also, the milk is analyse while the cow is being milked. It will check the temperature, fat content, electrical conductivity and colour (presence of blood or yellow secretion).
I guess those bulls are really going to set off some alarm bells. :biggrin:

Danger said:
I guess those bulls are really going to set off some alarm bells. :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl:

1. What inspired you to create "A rather moo-seful invention"?

The idea for "A rather moo-seful invention" came to me while I was working on a dairy farm. I noticed that the cows were often uncomfortable and distressed during the milking process, and I wanted to find a way to make it a more enjoyable experience for them.

2. How does "A rather moo-seful invention" work?

"A rather moo-seful invention" is a device that attaches to the milking machine and emits calming sounds and vibrations to relax the cows. It also has a built-in brush that provides a gentle massage to the cows while they are being milked.

3. Have you conducted any studies on the effectiveness of "A rather moo-seful invention"?

Yes, we have conducted several studies on the effects of "A rather moo-seful invention" on dairy cows. The results have shown that cows using the device produce higher quality milk, have lower stress levels, and are more relaxed during the milking process.

4. Is "A rather moo-seful invention" available for purchase?

Yes, "A rather moo-seful invention" is currently available for purchase. It can be ordered directly from our website or through select dairy supply stores.

5. Are there any plans to expand "A rather moo-seful invention" for use with other animals?

Currently, our focus is on improving the milking experience for dairy cows. However, we are exploring the possibility of adapting "A rather moo-seful invention" for use with other animals in the future.