Why don't lower energy photons sometimes produce a neutrino-antineutrino pair?

In summary, the neutrino is massless, but it cannot have the same mass as the electron, muon, or tau.
antoon
When an gamma foton interacts with matter it can produce an Electron-pisitron pair. Why don't lower energy fotons sometime's produce an neutrino-antineutrino pair.

Lepton number and charche wil be concerved

(please forgive me for me bad english)

Physics news on Phys.org
So wath is the problem then?
A foton is also an neutral particle.
Al electron and positron pair is also neutral.
why must the particles be charged ?

I think it has to do with handedness. The neutrino and antineutrino are both left handed, according to the standard model, that breaks a symmetry.

Physics Monkey was right to notice the importance of charge here : neutrinos are not sensitive to electric charge, they only interact through the weak interaction. But pair creation in matter occurs in the electromagnetic field of the nucleus, and this is very important.

Then selfAdjoint is almost right : neutrinos are always left-handed, whereas antineutrinos are always right-handed.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/neutrino3.html#c1
They both have spin 1/2. So in the process of creating a pair [tex]\nu\bar{\nu}[/tex] you see that you end up with zero angular momentum. The photon cannot have zero angular momentum because it is spin 1 and massless.

humanino said:
Then selfAdjoint is almost right : neutrinos are always left-handed, whereas antineutrinos are always right-handed.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/neutrino3.html#c1
They both have spin 1/2. So in the process of creating a pair [tex]\nu\bar{\nu}[/tex] you see that you end up with zero angular momentum. The photon cannot have zero angular momentum because it is spin 1 and massless.

I don't get this: the momenta are also opposite, so I'd say that the state of a neutrino going left, and an anti-neutrino going right, you'd have a spin-1 state, no ? Or have I been drinking ?

I gues it has to do with the fact that its an anti neutrino/

thank you al for you answers , i thank you all very much.

vanesch said:
I don't get this: the momenta are also opposite, so I'd say that the state of a neutrino going left, and an anti-neutrino going right, you'd have a spin-1 state, no ? Or have I been drinking ?
No no no you right : I probably had been drinking when I wrote this ! :smile:

antoon said:
I gues it has to do with the fact that its an anti neutrino
you have teased my interest now I want to understand : I am not satisfied yet :smile:

So, I realize that Physics Monkey is right from the beginning : I never saw any Feynman diagram coupling a photon to a neutrino, and indeed neutrino do not carry electric charge. In the standard model this is forbiden. Correct ?

Now beyond the SM, I still am not totally sure that, even with a corresponding Feynman diagram for a possible photon-neutrino coupling, one cannot find a further reason for the process not to occur. So let's admit for all purpose that all those particles are massless (this known to be a very good approximation). Let's assume the photon incident along the z-axis. As vanesh pointed out, the neutrino and it's anti-buddy have to fly away back-to-back for angular momentum conservation. If the direction were not z-direction, then both transverse impulsion should compensate each other. However, since neutrinos are massless, this implies exact same total impulsion (since we already know they are flying back-to-back, at the same angle). Now we come to a contradiction : the photon was not at rest initially. I want to point out that this is very much due to the fact that photon and neutrinos are both chargeless : they cannot interact with the nuclei around to compensate for impulsion (this is known to be an ingredient in [tex]e^+e^-[/tex] creation). Then both neutrinos have to fly away back to back in the z-direction. However, there is no phase space avalaible ! For energy conservation to be respected, the forward going (anti-)neutrino must carry all the impulsion (whether this is the neutrino or the anti-neutrino forward going depends only on the inital polarization of the photon). The backward going buddy must be "at rest" which is impossible for a massless particle. :smile:

Please comments ! Have I been drinking once again ? :wink:

is a neutrino treuly massless?
i though it had a mass

antoon said:
is a neutrino treuly massless?
i though it had a mass
Well, for the purpose of understanding why photons cannot produce neutrino-antineutrino pairs at low energy, it is a vey sufficient approximation to assume they have no mass. Currently :
  • [tex]m_{\nu_e}<3[/tex] eV
  • [tex]m_{\nu_{\mu}}<190[/tex] keV
  • [tex]m_{\nu_{\tau}}<18.5[/tex] MeV
with 90% confidence level.

What is also known today, is that they cannot have the same mass. So for sure they can't (at least not all) be massless. The available bounds on [tex]\Delta m^2[/tex] are still under discussions. Using cosmic microwave background anisotropy, they found [tex]\sum_{i=\nu_e,\nu_{\mu},\nu_{\tau}} m_{i}<0.7[/tex] eV (possible model dependence however). If one accepts this bound, then only the other bound on [tex]m_{\nu_e}[/tex] is relevant.

See PDG : Electron, muon, and tau neutrino Listings (Rev.) for further details.

Photoproduction of neutrino pairs does indeed occur.
See, for example
www.yars.free.net/English/Science/YSU/Dept/Phys/DivTheorPhys/[/URL]
papers/jetpl75.pdf
To be sure, the reaction gamma + N(ucleon) -> N + gamma + neutrino pair has an extra gamma in the final state, but that's hardly a big deal, not a claim buster. What is interesting is that the experiment discussed takes place in a strong magnetic field, which is an odd-parity field.

Rrgards,
Reilly Atkinson

(Google will give you riches beyond belief in the photoproduction of neutrino world.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I see the discussion continues, so I thought I would stop back by and comment. Reilly is quite correct to point out that neutrino pair production is not actually forbidden. My original response was oversimplified. What is forbidden within the Standard Model is the "direct" production of a neutrino-antineutrino pair by a photon. There is no vertex for this interaction because neutrinos are electrically neutral. The typical process for producing a neutrino-antineutrino pair would involve the decay of a [tex] Z_0 [/tex] boson. This neutral boson can interact with other leptons that directly couple to photons. In this way, the process of neutrino pair production by light is allowed, but it must proceed through intermediaries. Of course, the usual concerns about various conservation laws must also be remembered.

Last edited:
I have al ready learned a lot here. but
Reilly, i can't open your PDF document, you should try to click the link.

1. What is pair production?

Pair production is a process in which a high-energy photon, such as a gamma ray, interacts with a nucleus or an electron and produces a particle and its antiparticle. This process is governed by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², which states that energy can be converted into matter.

2. How does pair production relate to electrons?

In pair production, an electron and its antiparticle (a positron) are created from the energy of a high-energy photon. The electron is one of the most common particles produced in this process, along with its corresponding antiparticle, the positron.

3. What is the role of the electron in pair production?

The electron is a fundamental particle that plays a crucial role in the process of pair production. It can act as one of the particles in the pair, or it can be produced along with its antiparticle, the positron, by the energy of a high-energy photon.

4. How does pair production occur?

Pair production occurs when a high-energy photon interacts with a nucleus or an electron. The energy of the photon is converted into the mass of the particle and its antiparticle, satisfying the principle of conservation of energy and mass.

5. What are some practical applications of pair production?

Pair production has important applications in various fields, including medical imaging, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. For example, the production of positrons in pair production is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans, a medical imaging technique. Pair production is also used to study the properties of subatomic particles and to understand the formation of antimatter in the universe.