Increase in speed, decrease in time

In summary, the problem presents a situation where a car is traveling on a crowded freeway and takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When the speed is increased by 4.0 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 9 seconds. Using the equations (1/t + 4) = 1/(t-9), we can solve for the original speed, 1/t miles/s. After some calculations, the original speed is determined to be 1/t miles/s.
keinekatze
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.0 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 9 s. What was your original speed in mi/h?

(this is from chapter 1 in my physics book, but it's been a long time since I've had math and for the life of me can't figure out how to set it up!)

Xmph=original speed
t= original time seconds/mile
s= seconds
It seems to me that Xmph/t = (xmph+4mph)/(t-9s), but I can't figure out where to move from here... please, any help on the set-up of this equation would be greatly appreciated! I know this is supposed to be easy but my brain just can't work it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the first hint, you are trevalling one mile in t seconds.

So your original speed is v = 1/t miles/s

Second hint: New speed = v + 4 = (1/t + 4) miles/s ---------(1)

Time to go 1 mile decreesed by 9 sec means it took (t-9) sec to travel one mile this time.

So new speed can also be written as 1/(t-9) ------(2)

combine (1) and (2).

1/t + 4 = 1 /(t-9)

Solve for t. Your original speed is 1/t miles/s

Please forgive me for trying to exercise my 50+ year old mind to keep alzheimer's at bay...by working on physics problems.

I came across this problem and tried to solve for "t" ending up with t= 37 seconds. It was at this point that I got a brain "phart". (sorry)

I am lost. What am I not thinking about. Just a hint to get me back on track...I want to think this through myself if I can. Thank you. Casey

...after sleeping on this I got it figured out.

1. What is the relationship between increase in speed and decrease in time?

As the speed of an object increases, the time it takes to cover a certain distance decreases. This is because speed is defined as the distance covered per unit of time. Therefore, an increase in speed results in a decrease in time.

2. How does an increase in speed affect the overall time of a journey?

An increase in speed can significantly decrease the overall time of a journey. For example, if a car travels at 60 mph for 2 hours, it will cover a distance of 120 miles. However, if the car increases its speed to 80 mph, it will cover the same distance in only 1.5 hours, resulting in a decrease in time of 30 minutes.

3. Can an increase in speed always result in a decrease in time?

No, an increase in speed does not always result in a decrease in time. This is because there are other factors that can affect the time it takes to cover a certain distance, such as traffic, road conditions, and the distance itself. Additionally, there may be a maximum speed limit that cannot be exceeded, preventing an increase in speed from decreasing the time of the journey.

4. How does an increase in speed affect the energy required?

An increase in speed requires more energy to maintain. This is because kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, increases with an increase in speed. Therefore, the faster an object moves, the more energy is required to maintain that speed.

5. Can a decrease in time be achieved without an increase in speed?

Yes, a decrease in time can be achieved without an increase in speed. This can be achieved by reducing the distance to be covered, as time is also affected by the distance traveled. For example, if a car travels at 50 mph for 2 hours, it will cover a distance of 100 miles. However, if the car travels at the same speed for only 1 hour, it will cover a distance of 50 miles, resulting in a decrease in time of 1 hour without an increase in speed.