Intervals of increase/decrease with a exponential function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intervals of increase and decrease of a given function, f(x) = e3x + e-2x. When setting f'(x) = 0 to find critical numbers, the original method failed due to a simple mistake of mixing up formulas. The correct method involved combining the terms using a common denominator.
endeavor
find the intervals of increase and decrease of f(x) = e3x + e-2x.

f'(x) = 3e3x - 2e-2x
I set f'(x) = 0 to find the critical numbers:
3e3x = 2e-2x
3 ln e3x = 2 ln e-2x
9x = -4x
x = 0, which is obviously wrong, (3e^0 - 2e^0 = 1). I found out that I had to combine the two terms using a common denomintor, and I got the right answer.

But why did my original method fail?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite simply because;
3e3x = 2e-2x
3 ln e3x = 2 ln e-2x
[tex]3\ln|e^{3x}| \neq \ln |3e^{3x}|[/tex]

ahh... i feel so stupid.. i hate when i make simple mistakes and mix formulas up. :uhh:

endeavor said:
ahh... i feel so stupid.. i hate when i make simple mistakes and mix formulas up. :uhh:
I did a very similar thing in an exam yesterday, I was sat there for fifteen mintues trying to figure out where I had gone wrong, then I realized, I had differentiated instead of integrated :blushing:, it was a good job I realized before the end of the test! :rolleyes:

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function where the independent variable, or input, is in the exponent. It is represented by the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant value known as the base. Exponential functions are commonly used to model situations where the rate of growth or decay is proportional to the current value.

2. How do you determine the intervals of increase and decrease with an exponential function?

The intervals of increase and decrease for an exponential function can be determined by examining the sign of the base value, a. If a > 1, the function will have an increasing interval, and if 0 < a < 1, the function will have a decreasing interval. The intervals will also depend on the domain and range of the function.

3. Can an exponential function have both increasing and decreasing intervals?

No, an exponential function can only have one type of interval, either increasing or decreasing. This is because the base value, a, will remain either positive or negative throughout the entire domain of the function.

4. How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can start by making a table of values for different x-values. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and use a smooth curve to connect them. You can also use the base value, a, to determine the y-intercept and the rate of growth or decay of the function.

5. Can an exponential function have a horizontal asymptote?

Yes, an exponential function can have a horizontal asymptote. This occurs when the base value, a, is between 0 and 1, causing the function to approach 0 as x approaches infinity. In this case, the horizontal asymptote will be at y = 0.