Need a DC power supply - amplifier?

In summary, it is not sensible to build your own DC power supply for a project you are working on. You will not achieve the same quality as you would if you bought a wall wart from Radio Shack and an extension cord from your car battery.
280Z28
I need a DC power supply for a project I'm working on.

I have a Leach amplifier with a monster power supply and heat sinks able to handle it clipping at ~500W/channel. It's just sitting on my floor.

I also have a 2 16bit 1MHz DACs and 2 16bit 200KHz ADCs attached to a National Instruments FPGA. I'm thinking instead of buying a DC power supply, I can write a program in 10 minutes that feeds a nice sine curve to the amplifier, and just buy a 2 rectifiers and some caps and build a pair of clean full wave rectifier for <$10 and hook it up to the outputs.

Any immediate reason this is a bad idea? There's no way I'll need more than 2A @ 12V DC from this thing, and it's able to drive a 4ohm load to something like 60+V peak-to-peak, which means 10A @ ~40V DC after a rectifier.

It's going to be the power source for a switch-mode duty-cycle controlled driver for a tiny servo motor (electronic throttle body from a car that I'm testing on my desk).

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you'll use the ADC's to regulate the output voltage? Things to pay attention to: A) feedback loop has enough bandwidth and low enough delay. B) you might operate at a high frequency (10kHz, eg.) to reduce size of filter caps. C) calc. inrush current when you turn it on and check it's within amp ratings. Big caps (relative to frequency) with low ESR will initially look like a dead short across your amp.

Done properly you should have a very high-quality supply.

Buy a wall wart from Radio Shack.

Run an extension cord to your car battery.

berkeman said:
Buy a wall wart from Radio Shack.
NoTime said:
Run an extension cord to your car battery.
You're going to deprive 280Z28 (I'm going to guess he's a fan of fast cars) of the immeasurable joys of design and experimentation. He indicated in the OP that he'd like to do this instead of buying a supply. Is it sensible? No. Practical? No. A good use of time? No. That doesn't mean he shouldn't do it :biggrin:

1. What is a DC power supply - amplifier and what is its purpose?

A DC power supply - amplifier is a device that provides a steady and stable DC voltage output to power electronic devices. It is used to convert AC power from a wall outlet into a usable DC power for electronic devices.

2. How do I choose the right DC power supply - amplifier for my needs?

When choosing a DC power supply - amplifier, you should consider the voltage and current requirements of your electronic device. The power supply should have a higher voltage and current output than what your device requires. You should also consider the efficiency and reliability of the power supply.

3. Can I use a DC power supply - amplifier for both AC and DC devices?

No, a DC power supply - amplifier can only be used for DC devices. If you need to power AC devices, you will need an AC power supply instead.

4. How do I connect my electronic device to the DC power supply - amplifier?

The DC power supply - amplifier will have two terminals labeled as positive (+) and negative (-). Connect the positive terminal to the positive terminal of your device and the negative terminal to the negative terminal of your device. Make sure to match the voltage and current requirements of your device with the output of the power supply.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using a DC power supply - amplifier?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when using a DC power supply - amplifier. Make sure to use the correct voltage and current settings, and never overload the power supply. Keep the power supply away from water and other liquids, and do not touch the terminals while the power supply is in use.