Hydrostatic force on water tank problem

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating the hydrostatic force against the end of a tank by using a Riemann sum and expressing it as an integral. The end of the tank is a semicircle, and the length of each strip can be calculated using the equation of a circle. The final answer for the hydrostatic force is 1218880 lb.
Gauss177

Homework Statement

The end of a tank containing water is vertical and has the indicated shape (in attached picture). Explain how to approximate the hydrostatic force against the end of the tank by a Riemann sum. Then express the force as an integral and evaluate it.

Homework Equations

P=1000gx
F=P*A (pressure * area)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my main problem is finding the area of the ith strip. The pressure is relatively easy to calculate, and if I know the pressure and area I can integrate to find the hydrostatic force.

Attachments

• calculus.bmp
    74.9 KB · Views: 782
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the fact that the picture says "10 m (radius)" mean the end of the tank is a semicircle?

If so, you can use the equation of the circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, to find the area of each strip.

If it is some other shape, the question should tell you what the shape is.

Yes, the end of the tank is a semicircle. Looking at a similar example in the book, is the length of each strip [tex]2 \sqrt{100-y_i^2}[/tex]? Because in the book's example, the end of the tank is a full circle with radius 3, and they got the length of each strip to be [tex]2 \sqrt{9-y_i^2}[/tex]. I'm not sure how to get this though from the equation of the circle.

Thanks

The equation of the circle is [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 10^2[/itex]

So [itex]x = \pm\sqrt{100-y^2}[/itex]

The strip at height [itex]y_i[/itex] goes from [itex]x = -\sqrt{100-y_i^2}[/itex] to [itex]x = +\sqrt{100-y_i^2}[/itex] so its length is [itex]2\sqrt{100-y_i^2}[/itex]

Thanks. Can you quickly check if I did this right:

[tex]\displaystyle{\int_{0}^{5} 62.5y(2 \sqrt{100-y}) \;dy}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle{125 \int_{0}^{5} y \sqrt{100-y} \;dy}[/tex]

Substituting u=100-y, du=-dy:

[tex]\displaystyle{-125 \int_{100}^{95} (u+100) \sqrt{u} \;du}[/tex]

I get the answer to be 1218880 lb for hydrostatic force. This seems really big, so did I do something wrong above?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic force on a water tank?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic force on a water tank is F = ρghA, where F is the force in newtons, ρ is the density of water in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, h is the height of the water column in meters, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tank in square meters.

2. How do you determine the weight of water in a tank?

To determine the weight of water in a tank, you must first calculate the volume of water in the tank by multiplying the tank's cross-sectional area by the height of the water column. Then, multiply the volume by the density of water (1000 kg/m3) to get the weight of water in newtons.

3. How does the shape of the water tank affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of the water tank does not affect the hydrostatic force, as long as the tank's cross-sectional area and height remain the same. The force is solely determined by the density of water and the height of the water column.

4. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force on water tanks?

Hydrostatic force on water tanks is an important concept in fluid mechanics and has many real-life applications. It is used in designing and analyzing water storage tanks, dams, and irrigation systems. It is also important in understanding the behavior of ships and submarines in water.

5. How can hydrostatic force on water tanks be used to determine the stability of a structure?

Hydrostatic force on water tanks can be used to determine the stability of a structure by calculating the total force acting on the structure and comparing it to the weight of the structure. If the hydrostatic force is greater than the weight, the structure is in a state of unstable equilibrium and may topple over. This information is crucial in designing and constructing stable structures that can withstand the forces of water.