Amount of Salt in a Bucket over Time

• Thread starter therealkellys
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks again for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of salt in a 5-gallon bucket of pure water as salt is continuously added at a rate of 0.25 pounds per minute and water is simultaneously leaking out at a rate of 0.5 gallons per minute. The saltwater solution is always well mixed and the amount of salt in the bucket is represented by a first-order differential equation. The amount of salt in the bucket after specific time intervals is determined by solving the differential equation and using the initial condition of 0 pounds of salt.
therealkellys

Homework Statement

A 5-gallon bucket is full of pure water. Suppose we begin dumping salt into the bucket at a rate of .25 pounds per minute. Also, we open the spigot so that .5 gallons per minute leaves the bucket, and we add water to keep the bucket full. If the saltwater solution is always well mixed, what is the amount of salt in the bucket after
a) 1 minute?
b) 10 minutes?
c) 60 minutes?
d) 1000 minutes?
e) a very, very long time?

Homework Equations

16 ounces = 1 pound
1 gallon = 128 oz
dSalt/dt = .25 lbs/min
dSolution/dt = -.5 gal/min

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I just set this up like a simple ratio problem...
.25 pounds salt = 4 ounces
5 gallons water = 640 ounces
4 oz salt / 640 oz water = x oz salt / 576 oz water
x = (576*4)/(640) = 3.6 oz salt = .225 pounds salt

However, I checked in the back of the book and the answer listed is .238 pounds of salt. I don't understand how they came up with that answer?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how to incorporate the diff. eqs. into the solution. I don't think the way I solved it was right because I mostly just used alegbra. I think there should be a way to use both the rate that the salt is being poured in and the rate at which the solution is leaking out, but I don't know exactly how. If I can come up with the equation, I think I could do the rest of the integration and stuff, but it seems like I'm just stuck on the first part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
"Set it up as a simple ratio problem"?? You titled this "First Order Diff. Eq."! I doubt they are going to give you a "simple ratio problem" in Differential Equations!

Let X(t) be the amount of salt, in pounds, in the bucket at t minutes. Since the bucket is kept full and the concentration is kept uniform, the concentration at t minutes is X(t)/5 pounds per gallon. Since 1/2 gallon of mixture is leaving the bucket every minute, (1/2)(X(t))/5 = X(t)/10 pounds of salt are leaving every minute. Also, there are .25 pounds of salt going into the bucket every minute. What is the net change in salt in the bucket every minute? In other words, what is dX/dt? Of course, X(0)= 0.

Thank you very much for your help, HallsofIvy :) I think I figured it out now. I don't know what I was thinking before. I guess I just got desperate after spending so long stuck on this one problem and started trying anything I could think of.

dX/dt = .25 - t/10
dX / (t - 2.5) = -(1/10) dt
ln |t - 2.5| = -(1/10)t + c
t = 2.5 + ce^(-t/10)

Substituting initial value in...
0 = 2.5 + c
c = -2.5

So, the equation is 2.5 - 2.5e^(-t/10). I can use that to find the rest of the answers I think.

What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves an unknown function and its first derivative.

What is the difference between a first-order differential equation and a higher-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation involves the first derivative of an unknown function, while a higher-order differential equation involves the second or higher derivatives of an unknown function. First-order differential equations are typically easier to solve than higher-order equations.

How are first-order differential equations used in science?

First-order differential equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are the different methods for solving first-order differential equations?

The most common methods for solving first-order differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution methods. Other methods such as Laplace transforms and numerical approximations may also be used.

What are some real-life applications of first-order differential equations?

First-order differential equations have numerous real-life applications, such as predicting the spread of diseases, modeling the growth of bacteria, analyzing stock market trends, and designing control systems for robots and other machines. They are also used in weather forecasting, population dynamics, and financial analysis.