Invaluable Tool: Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter

In summary: Thanks, Danger. Sounds like the definition of a good invention. And the simple patents are the often easiest to protect since there are fewer ways to cheat [get around the patent] while still maintaining the critical design features. Thanks, Danger.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It is a multi positional obstructed screw, nut , bolt starter, it is very functional and can save hours of build time, material costs are well below a
£1, the tool could be a throw away or reusable for repeat jobs.
Would there be a market for such an invaluable tool?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a threaded awl that starts screw holes, is it something like that?

You should post a picture, sounds most functional.

There's a market for just about anything, Woolie. This sounds like quite a useful gizmo if you mean that it sets fasteners into place where they can't normally be reached. I'd buy one for sure.
(And I advise against posting a picture. It wouldn't be conducive to proper patenting.)

Evo said:
I have a threaded awl that starts screw holes, is it something like that?

No, imagine some fastener that you can see but can not reach with your delicate hands, may be you have to remove component A,B,C to reach it,
my tool would negate that.

wolram said:
No, imagine some fastener that you can see but can not reach with your delicate hands, may be you have to remove component A,B,C to reach it,
my tool would negate that.
Is it tiny to fit into small places? They have big ones like this.

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/20870/2196

Evo said:
Is it tiny to fit into small places? They have big ones like this.

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/20870/2196

OK, imagine you can see some fastener, may be undo it with some tool, but you can not reach into a confined space to to re locate it, my tool replaces
the need for a hand and the removal of other components to reach it.

wolram said:
OK, imagine you can see some fastener, may be undo it with some tool, but you can not reach into a confined space to to re locate it, my tool replaces
I need one right now!

wolram said:

It sounds good to me. Modern cars especially have a lot of fasteners that can be removed with a tool by "feel", but when it come to finding the hole to replace (reposition it), it is a total nightmare.

There are a lot of tools on the market for working on some of them, like those blasted spark plugs that are not visible on an engine, but the smaller ones like screws and smaller bolts drive me nuts.

I like to work on my own vehicles and I have had to resort to duct tape, magnets and flexible rubber tubing among other things.

Likewise, Edward. You wouldn't believe some of the monstrosities that I've had to cobble together just to get one stinking bolt started (especially without cross-threading it, which is pretty easy to do when you don't have tactile feedback). :grumpy:
I say 'Go for it, Woolie'. Consult with a good patent attorney, though; it's well worth the expense.

Danger said:
Likewise, Edward. You wouldn't believe some of the monstrosities that I've had to cobble together just to get one stinking bolt started (especially without cross-threading it, which is pretty easy to do when you don't have tactile feedback). :grumpy:
I say 'Go for it, Woolie'. Consult with a good patent attorney, though; it's well worth the expense.

Thanks Danger, my invention is so simple it is all most embarrassing, but it works, and saves time .

wolram said:
my invention is so simple it is all most embarrassing, but it works, and saves time .

Sounds like the definition of a good invention. And the simple patents are the often easiest to protect since there are fewer ways to cheat [get around the patent] while still maintaining the critical design features.

1. What is a Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter?

A Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter is a specialized tool used to start and guide screws, nuts, and bolts in tight or obstructed spaces. It allows for easier and more precise placement of fasteners in hard-to-reach areas.

2. How does a Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter work?

The tool has a flexible shaft with a magnetized tip that can hold the screw, nut, or bolt in place. It also has a handle with a rotating head that can be adjusted to different angles, allowing for multiple positions to access tight spaces. The user can then use the tool to guide the fastener into place before tightening.

3. What materials are Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starters made of?

Most Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starters are made of durable materials such as stainless steel or aluminum. The handle is often made of a non-slip material for better grip and control. The magnetized tip may also be coated with a protective layer to prevent damage to the fastener.

4. What are the benefits of using a Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter?

The tool can save time and effort in completing tasks that require fastening in tight or obstructed spaces. It also reduces the risk of dropping or losing fasteners, which can be frustrating and time-consuming to retrieve. Additionally, the tool allows for better precision and accuracy in starting and placing fasteners.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Multi Positional Obstructed Screw, Nut, Bolt Starter?

As with any tool, it is important to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with fasteners. The tool should be used with caution and kept out of reach of children.