Score High on IIT JAM: Physics Problem Practice Books for Undergrads

In summary, for students preparing for competitive physics exams like IIT JAM, books like Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics, Irodov's Problems in General Physics, and Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics can be helpful for practicing problem-solving skills. Other recommended books include Serway and Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, University Physics by Young and Freedman, and Essential University Physics by Richard Wolfson. It may be difficult to find these specific books, but they can be purchased online or at bookstores specializing in academic texts.
neelakash
Dear buddy,here I ask for some physics books whose names or authors are unknown to me.I am a physics undergrad student and plan to sit for IIT JAM this year.

As always, these competitive exams are based on problem solving-sometimes MCQ. Specially IIT JAM makes a subjective paper...whereas NGPE and IISc makes MCQ questions based on problem solving skills.

What I need some book(s) that might guide me to crack these exams.So,a problem book on undergrad-grad level physics.Book(s) for practising problems...
I have Irodov...so do not post its link...
Some other...

I searched for these type of book in College Street,Kolkata.But they could not give me anything.I am not absolutely sure if at all these type of books exist.So,it might be a tough task for you to search for this.

Please try for it...
Thanks in advance.
kallol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some good books for problem solving in Physics include: 1. Halliday, Resnick, and Krane's Fundamentals of Physics (any edition)2. Serway and Jewett's Physics for Scientists and Engineers (any edition)3. University Physics with Modern Physics by Young and Freedman (any edition)4. Physics by Tipler and Mosca (any edition)5. Problems in General Physics by I.E. Irodov (any edition)6. Problems in Physics by A. A. Pinsky (any edition)7. Essential University Physics by Richard Wolfson (any edition)8. Aptitude Test Problems in Physics by S.S. Krotov (any edition)9. Schaum's Outline of College Physics by Frederick Bueche (any edition)10. Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory by A. Zee (any edition)

Dear kallol,

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your interest in finding problem practice books for IIT JAM. I understand the importance of being well-prepared for competitive exams and the role that practice books can play in enhancing problem-solving skills.

I would suggest starting with books specifically designed for IIT JAM, as they will cater to the specific requirements and format of the exam. Some popular options include "Problems in Physics" by Abhay Kumar Singh and "IIT JAM Physics Solved Papers & Practice Sets" by Arihant Experts.

Additionally, you can also look for books that cover the syllabus of your undergraduate physics courses, as they will provide a solid foundation for tackling problems at a higher level. Some recommended titles are "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker and "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman.

It is important to note that while books can be a helpful resource, they should not be relied upon solely for exam preparation. Make sure to also focus on understanding the concepts and theories behind the problems, rather than just memorizing solutions.

I understand that finding these books in your local area may be a challenge, but you can also consider purchasing them online or checking with your university library. I wish you all the best in your preparations for IIT JAM and hope you are able to find the resources you need.

Best of luck!

1. What is a "Physics problem practice book"?

A "Physics problem practice book" is a book that contains a collection of physics problems for students to practice and improve their understanding of physics concepts and theories. It usually includes a variety of problems with different levels of difficulty, as well as step-by-step solutions and explanations.

2. Who can benefit from using a "Physics problem practice book"?

Any student studying physics can benefit from using a "Physics problem practice book". It is especially useful for students preparing for exams or looking to improve their problem-solving skills and understanding of physics concepts.

3. How do I choose the right "Physics problem practice book" for me?

When choosing a "Physics problem practice book", consider the level of difficulty, types of problems, and the topics covered. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other students or teachers.

4. Can a "Physics problem practice book" replace a textbook?

No, a "Physics problem practice book" is meant to supplement a textbook and provide additional practice problems. It is not a substitute for a textbook as it does not cover all the necessary content and explanations.

5. How often should I use a "Physics problem practice book"?

It is recommended to use a "Physics problem practice book" regularly, at least a few times a week, to consistently improve problem-solving skills and deepen understanding of physics concepts. However, the frequency can vary depending on individual learning styles and needs.