QFT in a nutshell: From field to particle

In summary, the author is trying to solve for W(J) using the Fourier transform, but is having trouble with the complex conjugate of J(x). They eventually solve for W(J) by using the sum and product of exponentials.
jdstokes

Homework Statement

I don't understand how Zee gets Eq. (2) on p. 24:

[itex]W(J) = - \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} J(k)^\ast\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\varepsilon}J(k)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]W(J) := - \frac{1}{2}\int d^4x\int d^4y J(x)D(x-y)J(y)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see where the [itex]d^4k[/itex] and factors of 2pi are coming from. Manipulating the definition of W(J) I was able to show that

[itex]W(J) = -\frac{1}{2}\int d^4 x e^{ikx}J(x)\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\varepsilon} J(k)[/itex]
[itex]W(J) = -\frac{1}{2}J(-k)\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\varepsilon} J(k)[/itex]

but this obviously doesn't agree.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see you have a power E^{ikx} but I don't see a k integral... the idea is to substitute J by its Fourier transform:
[tex]J(x) = \int \frac{d^4 k}{(2\pi)^4} e^{i k x} J(k)[/tex]
and
[tex]J(y)^* = \int \frac{d^4 k'}{(2\pi)^4} e^{-i k' x} J(k')^*[/tex]
Now combine the exponentials and perform the x-integration, this will cancel out one of the k integrals
[tex]\int dx e^{i (k - k') x} = \delta(k - k')[/tex]
and then do the manipulations you did to get the [tex]\left(k^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon\right)^{-1}[/tex] and the other stuff right.

Hi CompuChip,

Thanks for replying.

Why are you taking the complex conjugate of J(x)? The definition of W(J) is

No complex conjugates there. My approach was to separate the [itex]e^{ik(x-y)}[/itex] term in the expression for the propagation D(x - y) giving

[itex]W(J) := - \frac{1}{2}\int d^4x\int d^4y J(x)\frac{e^{ik(x-y)}}{k^2-m^2+i\epsilon}J(y)[/itex]
[itex]W(J) := - \frac{1}{2}\int d^4x\int d^4y e^{ikx}J(x)\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\epsilon}e^{-iky}J(y)[/itex]
[itex]W(J) := - \frac{1}{2}\left(\int d^4x e^{ikx}J(x)\right)\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\epsilon}\left(\int d^4ye^{-iky}J(y)\right)[/itex]
[itex]W(J) := - \frac{1}{2}J(-k)\frac{1}{k^2-m^2+i\epsilon}J(k)[/itex].

Note quite right.

Omg I'm so dumb! I forgot to put the integral in the propagator. Problem solved now (I think). If J is complex, why is it [itex]J^\ast(k)[/itex] and not J(-k)?

Ah, my mistake. You get a [tex]\delta(k + k')[/tex] from the (real)space-integral hence J(k) and J(-k).
I might still be a little off here, but the general idea was as follows: J(x) is real. This implies that
[tex]J(x) = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty e^{ikx} J(k)
\stackrel{!}{=}
\sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty e^{-ikx} J(k)^* = J(x)^*
[/tex]
so comparing the coefficients of the (basis) exponentials, we conclude that [tex]J(k) = J(-k)^*[/tex], therefore we can write J(k)* instead of J(-k).

1. What is QFT in a nutshell?

QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics with special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It describes the interactions between particles as fields that permeate all of space and time.

2. How does QFT relate to particle physics?

QFT is the theoretical foundation of particle physics. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles, such as quarks, electrons, and photons.

3. What is the process of going from a field to a particle in QFT?

In QFT, particles are considered to be excitations or disturbances in the fields. The fields themselves are described by mathematical equations, and when these equations are solved, they reveal the existence of particles as localized, quantized excitations of the field.

4. What are the applications of QFT?

QFT has numerous applications in modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is used to explain phenomena such as the behavior of subatomic particles, the behavior of materials at low temperatures, and the evolution of the universe.

5. Is QFT a complete theory of physics?

No, QFT is not a complete theory of physics. It is currently the best framework we have for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, but it does not fully explain all phenomena in the universe. Scientists are still working to develop a more comprehensive theory that can unify all known forces in nature.