Gravity Well & Speed of Light: Questions & Answers

In summary, the speed of light is a constant and is not affected by gravity wells in general relativity. However, the effects of gravitational time dilation can make it appear to be slower when measured by a faster distant clock near a mass. Gravity wells also do not significantly affect the estimated age of the universe, which is primarily determined by the uncertainty in Hubble's constant.
la grange
Does a gravity well affect the speed of light? I would assume not because I know the speed of light to be a constant and that's how I have always been taught but now I am starting to question this. Also, would gravity wells affect the approximated age of the universe, and if so, by how much?

Thanks for the help guys!
-Grange

Physics news on Phys.org
You may have more luck with this one in the relativity forum :wink: Admins move this maybe?
But all observers measure the speed of light to be c. That much I can tell you as fact. As to the age of the universe, I asked a similar question at the end of a lecture at an open day once. The short answer is no, as gravitational effects on time are only significant for very intensely strong fields. It's also worth pointing out that by far the biggest constraint on our estimate of the age of the universe is our uncertainty in the value of Hubble's constant. We think it's around ~70 (km/s)/Mpc, but estimates range over 50-100 (km/s)/Mpc.

gravity wells cannot change the speed of light in GR. They can change the trajectory light travels, of course.

la grange said:
Does a gravity well affect the speed of light? I would assume not because I know the speed of light to be a constant and that's how I have always been taught but now I am starting to question this.

Don't confuse gravity wells with relativistic gravitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_well#Gravity_wells_and_general_relativity"). Measured with a local clock the speed of light is constant everywhere. But a local clock runs slower near a mass. So, measured with a faster distant clock light appears to be slower near a mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a gravity well?

A gravity well is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that it can affect the motion of objects, including light. This occurs due to the presence of a massive object, such as a planet or star, which warps the fabric of space-time.

2. How does a gravity well affect the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot be changed by external factors. However, in the presence of a gravity well, light may appear to travel slower due to the warping of space-time. This is known as gravitational time dilation.

3. Can an object escape a gravity well?

Yes, an object can escape a gravity well if it has enough energy to overcome the gravitational pull. This is known as escape velocity and it varies depending on the mass and size of the object creating the gravity well.

4. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of gravity?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of gravity as it is used in Einstein's theory of relativity to explain the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time. It also helps us measure the strength of a gravity well and understand how objects interact with each other in space.

5. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being constant?

While the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, it can be slowed down in certain mediums such as water or glass. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can also cause light to appear to travel at different speeds. However, these do not contradict the concept of the speed of light being constant in the absence of external factors.