How Do You Calculate Jet Speed, Momentum, and Forces in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter zephyrus777
  • Start date
You can't use momentum here because the hose is attached to the ground, so there is an upward force on the hose. That upward force is equal to the downward force of the water jet (Newton's third law). So you have to use conservation of energy. You know the maximum height of the water, so you can calculate the potential energy at that point. From that you can get the kinetic energy at that point. Then use conservation of energy to find the speed of the water at the nozzle. In summary, the minimum speed of water from the hose is calculated by using conservation of energy and knowing the height it reaches.
zephyrus777

Homework Statement

A jet of water from a fire hose is capable of reaching a height of 20m. What is the minimum speed of water from the hose? Given the area of cross section of the hose outlet is 4 x 10^(-4) m squared . calculate

a) The mass of water leaving the hose each second.
b)The momentum leaving the hose each second
c) the force on the hose due to the water jet. the density of water is 1000 kg/m cube

Homework Equations

f= dmv/dt
f= v x (dm/dt) (d is delta/small change)

P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I got stucked on first part.. no idea at all how to get the speed to 20 m/s (answer from my book says so :( )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) A car of mass 1200 kg traveling at high speed collides with a stationary car of mass 800kg. The two cars lock together on impact and slide a distance of 120m before stopping. Tests on the road surface show that the frictional force in the slide was 0.2 x the weight of the vehicles. Calculate
a) The decceleration of the two vehicles after impact.
b) the speed of the two vehicles immediately after impact.
c) the speed of the 1200kg car just before impact.

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = (m1 + m2) v
the four linear dynamics equation..

The Attempt at a Solution

1200(u1) + 800(0) = (1200+800) v

then i make v as the subject and subtitute into the linear equations.. i got stucked as i got the equation in multiple terms and can't be simutanous equated.

thanks in advande for answering my questions, hopefully :D

Physics news on Phys.org
zephyrus777 said:

Homework Statement

A jet of water from a fire hose is capable of reaching a height of 20m. What is the minimum speed of water from the hose?

I got stucked on first part.. no idea at all how to get the speed to 20 m/s (answer from my book says so :( )

Use conservation of energy. Just to fix the notation:

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the mass of water leaving the hose.
Let [itex]v[/itex] be the velocity of the water leaving the hose.
Let [itex]h[/itex] be the maximum height that the water reaches.

Taking the location of the hose to be [itex]y=0[/itex], can you write down the law of conservation of energy for this problem?

1/2 m v^2 = mgh , when h= 20, find v.. oh thanks dude :D

how bout (b) :( sigh..

Last edited:
That should be easy. You know v and you know the cross sectional area of the nozzle. That's all you need.

1. What is the purpose of "Need help on some simple questions"?

The purpose of "Need help on some simple questions" is to seek assistance or clarification on certain concepts or problems that may be difficult to understand or solve on one's own.

2. Who can benefit from "Need help on some simple questions"?

Anyone who is struggling with understanding or solving certain concepts or problems can benefit from "Need help on some simple questions". This can include students, professionals, or anyone seeking to expand their knowledge in a particular subject.

3. How can I get help on "Need help on some simple questions"?

There are several ways to get help on "Need help on some simple questions". You can seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or mentor, join study groups or online forums, or use educational resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. How can I prepare for "Need help on some simple questions"?

To prepare for "Need help on some simple questions", you can review your notes and previous assignments, identify areas where you are struggling, and come up with specific questions or problems to ask for assistance on. This will help guide the person helping you to better understand your needs and provide more effective guidance.

5. How often should I seek help on "Need help on some simple questions"?

The frequency of seeking help on "Need help on some simple questions" depends on individual needs and learning styles. Some may need more assistance and may benefit from seeking help more often, while others may only need occasional help. It is important to recognize when you need help and not be afraid to ask for it when necessary.