Circuit to limit capacitor power draw

In summary, a "Buck" DC-DC converter can provide the required circuit component for limiting the power draw from a capacitor.
capthook
Hello all!

Circuit to limit power draw from capacitor?

I want to limit my 100,000 uF 35 V capacitor that is charged (via schottky full-wave bridge) to between 4V to 16 V from dumping it's charge all at once.

I would like the capacitor to provide 300 mW to the load (10 ohm resistance). (ie. 1.25v @ .24A ) What do I need to do?

I could put diodes in between the capacitor and load for voltage drops - but the capacitors charge will vary from 4V to 16V..

I want to maximize efficiency.

Should I be looking at a switch mode DC/DC converter? Like this product?

LT1933 - 600mA, 500kHz Step-Down Switching Regulator in SOT-23

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,C1064,P7531#featuresSection

Is this the type of circuit component I should be searching for to accomplish this?
Advice on implementing this?
I'm a bit over my head on this..

Thank you!

CH

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
capthook said:
Hello all!

Circuit to limit power draw from capacitor?

I want to limit my 100,000 uF 35 V capacitor that is charged (via schottky full-wave bridge) to between 4V to 16 V from dumping it's charge all at once.

I would like the capacitor to provide 300 mW to the load (10 ohm resistance). (ie. 1.25v @ .24A ) What do I need to do?

I could put diodes in between the capacitor and load for voltage drops - but the capacitors charge will vary from 4V to 16V..

I want to maximize efficiency.

Should I be looking at a switch mode DC/DC converter? Like this product?

LT1933 - 600mA, 500kHz Step-Down Switching Regulator in SOT-23

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,C1064,P7531#featuresSection

Is this the type of circuit component I should be searching for to accomplish this?
Advice on implementing this?
I'm a bit over my head on this..

Thank you!

CH

Yes, you should use a "Buck" DC-DC converter to make your regulated output voltage. The DC-DC can also supply the current limit function that you mention.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm glad to have validation for the process I was considering. I have decided to go with one of the LT chip models.

FYI: Anyone that needs a SPICE program - LT offers a free/excellent one @:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/switchercad.jsp

CH

1. What is a circuit to limit capacitor power draw?

A circuit to limit capacitor power draw is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to control the amount of power that a capacitor can draw from a power source. This is important because capacitors have the ability to draw a large amount of power in a short amount of time which can cause damage to other components in a circuit.

2. How does a circuit to limit capacitor power draw work?

A circuit to limit capacitor power draw works by using a combination of resistors, transistors, and other components to regulate the flow of current to the capacitor. This helps to prevent the capacitor from drawing too much power and causing damage to the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using a circuit to limit capacitor power draw?

Using a circuit to limit capacitor power draw can help to protect other components in a circuit from damage. It can also help to improve the overall efficiency and stability of the circuit by controlling the power flow to the capacitor.

4. When is a circuit to limit capacitor power draw necessary?

A circuit to limit capacitor power draw is necessary in circuits where there is a risk of the capacitor drawing too much power and causing damage. This is often seen in high-powered circuits or in circuits with large capacitors.

5. Can a circuit to limit capacitor power draw be used for other components?

Yes, a circuit to limit capacitor power draw can also be used for other components such as inductors or diodes that have the potential to draw excessive power. It is a useful tool for protecting sensitive components in a circuit from damage.