Which MSc program is the best fit for me?

• Thread starter yoran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, the speaker is a bachelor student in Computer Science in Belgium and is unsure of which MSc program to pursue next. They are considering computer science, computer engineering, embedded systems, and electrical engineering, but each program has drawbacks that make it difficult to make a decision. They are seeking advice and clarification on job prospects and specialized knowledge within each field.
yoran
Hi,

I am currently a bachelor student in Computer Science in Belgium. For the Americans here, a BSc is like undergraduate but takes only 3 years. I am really hesitating what MSc to pursue next. The university I want to go to offers 4 programs that interest me:
- computer science
- computer engineering
- embedded systems
- electrical engineering

Nearly each program has a drawback for me and that's why I can't make up my mind. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Computer Science would be the logical continuation for me as currently I'm a Computer Science student. However, during my studies I found out that I would like to know more about hardware aspects and a MSc in Computer Science focuses almost entirely on software. Plus, I really don't see myself programming every day for the rest of my life (I know that I can eventually go into management as I grow into a company, but still it will take me a couple of years until I get there).
For those previous reasons, I think Computer Engineering suits me better. However, I am afraid the job prospects aren't as good as Computer Science. I haven't seen much job offers where they are looking specifically for a computer engineer (i.e, someone who knows about hardware). It is interesting to know about computer architecture and all but I don't think they are many jobs which require this knowledge.
A MSc in Embedded Systems gets my preference. I think it combines software and hardware very well and I think it's more broad than Computer Engineering in a way (Computer Engineering doesn't do cell phones, PDA's, iPod,...). The major drawback with this study I guess is that it specializes too much and therefore I think it is more suited as a post-master study. This is what an electrical engineer told me. It is better to do a more general study as it gives you a broader view. She also told me that one can specialize a lot in a company. Many offer traineeships and specialization courses.
I also find Electrical Engineering very interesting and I think it's the study that gives the best job opportunities. Although I don't know exactly what a typical electrical engineer job consists of, but I can imagine it involves less programming and "computer time" than a computer scientist (here, computer scientist = software engineer, as most computer science majors end up as software engineers). The problem is that I don't know for sure if I will really like the Electrical Engineering courses and if I won't miss the Computer Science courses too much. It's really the opposite in the way that Computer Science is pure software and Electrical Engineering is pure hardware (Embedded Systems and Computer Engineering are a combination of both). The problem is that because I'm a Computer Science student, I must do a preparation year in order to be admitted to the MSc in Electrical Engineering.

I really can't make up my mind. Please correct me if I made some assumptions about the studies that are wrong.
I also had a few specific questions:
- how are the Computer Engineering job prospects?
- is Embedded Systems really too specialized?
- what is a typical Electrical Engineering job? If I follow this MSc, I want to specialize in Microelectronics. Is anyone in that sector and can he/she tell me more about it?

Please add your own share if you think they may be useful.

Kind regards,

Yoran

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give me some advice please?

I understand your dilemma in choosing the best MSc program for you. It is important to carefully consider your interests, skills, and career goals when making this decision. Based on the information you have provided, I would suggest exploring the MSc program in Embedded Systems. This program combines both software and hardware aspects, which aligns with your interest in learning about hardware while also utilizing your computer science background. Additionally, it offers a broad range of job opportunities in various industries, including cell phones, PDA's, and other electronic devices. While it may be more specialized, it is a valuable skill set in today's technology-driven world.

However, if you are still unsure, I would recommend reaching out to individuals who have completed the MSc program in Embedded Systems or are currently working in that field. They can provide you with more insight into the job prospects and potential career paths. Additionally, you can also consider taking courses or attending workshops in Microelectronics to gain a better understanding of the field and see if it aligns with your interests.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it is important to choose a program that you are passionate about and will lead you to a fulfilling career. I wish you all the best in your decision-making process.

What is a Master of Science degree?

A Master of Science (MSc) degree is a postgraduate academic degree awarded to students who have completed advanced coursework and research in a specific field of science. It typically takes 1-2 years to complete and often requires a thesis or research project.

What are the different fields of study for MSc degrees?

There are a wide variety of fields of study for MSc degrees, including but not limited to: biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, psychology, environmental science, and healthcare. Each university may offer different specializations within these fields.

How do I choose the right MSc program?

When choosing an MSc program, it is important to consider your career goals, research interests, and academic strengths. Research different universities and their program offerings, and reach out to current students or alumni for their insights. Additionally, consider the location, cost, and potential job opportunities after graduation.

What is the difference between a thesis and non-thesis MSc program?

A thesis-based MSc program requires students to conduct original research and write a thesis paper, while a non-thesis program typically involves more coursework and may require a final project or exam. The choice between the two will depend on your career goals and research interests.

Is it better to pursue a specialized or general MSc degree?

This depends on your career goals and interests. A specialized MSc degree may provide more in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific area, while a general MSc degree may offer a broader range of opportunities. It is important to research the job market and consider the demand for your chosen specialization before making a decision.