Does Distance Affect the Electric Field Strength Above a Charged Plate?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between the electric field of a point above a charged plate and the distance from the plate. One person believes that the distance is irrelevant and the electric field will be the same regardless, while the other person is confused because the equation for the electric field (E=kq/r) suggests that the distance should have an effect. The discussion also touches on the difference between the electric field from a point charge and an infinite sheet of charge, and provides a resource for further understanding.
oh.rry21
So I'm trying to understand a couple things regarding this.

lets say we have a plate that's charged to Q. and we want to find the E field of a point .1 meters above the plate. when i looked at the solution, it never took the .1 meters into account when calculating the strength of the E field.

my roommate says that E field should be the same and thus the distance was irrelevant. so whether it was .1 meters or 1 meter above the plate, the E field would be the same.

but that doesn't make sense to me when you think about the equation for an electric field E= kq/r.

can anyone resolve that contradiction for me? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
oh.rry21 said:
my roommate says that E field should be the same and thus the distance was irrelevant. so whether it was .1 meters or 1 meter above the plate, the E field would be the same.
He's right, at least if you're talking about the field from an infinite sheet of charge. Or a finite sheet of charge at distances much smaller than the dimensions of the sheet. Of course, if the sheet of charge is only 10 cm square, the field 10 m away certainly will depend on distance.
but that doesn't make sense to me when you think about the equation for an electric field E= kq/r.
That's the field from a point charge--a very different configuration from an infinite sheet of charge. (Of course, as you get far enough away from a finite sheet of charge the field begins to look more and more like the field from a point charge.)

You might want to browse through this site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/gaulaw.html#c4"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, because the e-field lines will be 100% perpendicular to the charged (supposedly infinitely wide) plate.
i.e. going straight up or straight down, so if you bound a gaussian cylinder above and through the plate, the field will go through only the circular discs at the end of the cylinder (and not the 'side walls' of the cylinder) - so it doesn't matter how high the cylinder is (drawing a picture would help heaps)

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charges with the resulting electric field. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed electric charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss's Law related to E fields?

Gauss's Law is directly related to E fields, as it allows us to calculate the electric field at any point in space given the distribution of electric charges. By using Gauss's Law, we can simplify complex charge distributions and determine the electric field without having to use lengthy calculations.

What is an electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of the surface.

Can Gauss's Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Gauss's Law can be applied to any charge distribution as long as it is a closed surface. This means that the surface encloses a specific volume, and all the electric charges are contained within that volume.

How is Gauss's Law used in practical applications?

Gauss's Law has many practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the electric field in various systems, such as capacitors, transmission lines, and satellite orbits. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as sensors and detectors.