Trigonometric equations, help? ^^

So, to summarize, the equations can be solved by dividing the first equation by cosx and using the trigonometric identity sec2x = tan2x + 1. The solutions are cosx = 0, -1/2, and 1/2.
Wholewheat458

Homework Statement

2 cos^2 x + cos x = 0
and
tan x = 3^1/2

Homework Equations

.. ?? Unit circle.

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first, well I tried factoring to isolate x, but it really did not work
i keep making up my own rules that end up messing with the entire equation,
i know, its not the best method :rolleyes:
with the second, i used the unit circle (cos, sin) and the principal
that tan is = to sin/cos, but none of them are equal to the square root of 3..oy
any help would be much appreciated ^^
:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wholewheat458 said:
2 cos^2 x + cos x = 0
and
tan x = 3^1/2

Hi Wholewheat458! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :smile:)

There's lots of ways of doing this.

Divide the first equation by cosx … that gives you cos x = 0 or -1/2.

Use sec2x = tan2x + 1 … that gives you cosx = ±1/2.

And you do know an angle with cosx = 1/2, don't you? :wink:

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve these trigonometric equations on your own. It shows that you are actively trying to understand the concepts and are not afraid to ask for help when needed.

For the first equation, it is important to remember that factoring is not always the best method for solving trigonometric equations. In this case, we can use the trigonometric identity cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1 to rewrite the equation as 2(1-sin^2 x) + cos x = 0. This can then be simplified to 2sin^2 x + cos x - 2 = 0. From here, we can use the quadratic formula to solve for sin x and then use the inverse sine function to find the value of x.

For the second equation, it is helpful to remember that the square root of 3 can also be written as the sine or cosine of a specific angle. In this case, we can use the unit circle to find that the angle whose tangent is equal to the square root of 3 is pi/3 radians or 60 degrees.

I hope this helps you in solving these equations. Remember to always double check your solutions and use multiple methods if needed. Good luck!

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to represent relationships between angles and sides of triangles.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and then use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the value of the angle.

3. What is the difference between solving trigonometric equations and evaluating trigonometric expressions?

Solving trigonometric equations involves finding the value of the angle that satisfies the equation, while evaluating trigonometric expressions involves finding the numerical value of a given trigonometric function at a specific angle.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is recommended to solve trigonometric equations by hand using algebraic techniques and inverse trigonometric functions to fully understand the process.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using the wrong inverse trigonometric function, and making errors in algebraic manipulations.