How do I determine where a function has a removable and a jump discontinuity?

In summary: I don't know how to start on this either.In summary, the given function has a removable discontinuity at x = 1 when the value of b is equal to 3. It also has a finite jump discontinuity at x = 1 when the value of b is greater than 3 or less than -3. It is necessary to redefine the function at x = 1 to remove the discontinuity.
rowkem

Homework Statement

I am given the following function, piecewise:

f(x) = (-x+b) (x<1)
3 if x=1
(-12/(x-b))-1 (x>1, x=/b)

I am asked:

1) For what value(s) of 'b' does 'f' have a removable discontinuity at 1?
2) For what value(s) of 'b' does 'f' have a (finite) jump discontinuity at 1? Write your answer in interval notation.

Homework Equations

X

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have to clue where to start; especially in regards to the removable discontinuity. I tried making the functions equal each other for the jump discontinuity but, that was way out as far as I can tell.

--------------------------

If I could at least be given a starting point to go from, it would be appreciated. I'm not asking for the answers but, I'm so lost and just staring at this thing isn't helping. Thanks,

RK

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function has a removable discontinuity at [tex] x = a [/tex], that means these things.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to a^+} f(x) & = \lim_{x \to a^-} f(x)\\
\text{ so } & \lim_{x \to a} f(x) \text{ exists}\\
f(a) & \text{ is defined} \\
f(a) & \ne \lim_{x \to a^+} f(x)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

All the limits above are finite. Basically, if there is a removable discontinuity at [tex] x = a [/tex], the function has almost everything needed to be continuous there, but the function value is "wrong". Here is an example.

[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases}
3x+5 & \text{ if } x \ne 10\\
20 & \text{ if } x = 10
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Here the limit at 10 is equal to 35 (because both one-sided limits equal 35), but [tex] f(10) = 20 [/tex], so the function is not continuous there. We say there is a removable discontinuity at 10 because we can do this: make [tex] f [/tex] continuous merely by doing this:

[tex]
F(x) = \begin{cases}
3x + 5 & \text{ if } x \ne 10\\
35 & \text{ if } x = 10
\end{cases}
[/tex]

i.e. - we remove the discontinuity by redefining the function at the problem point, in order to make the function continuous there.

A function has a jump discontinuity at a spot if the two one-sided limits both exist but are not equal. Here is an example - the jump discontinuity is at [tex] x = 2 [/tex].

[tex]
w(x) = \begin{cases}
2x - 1 & \text{ if } x <=2\\
10x + 1 & \text{ if } x > 2
\end{cases}
[/tex]

The limit from the left is 3, the limit from the right is 21. If you were to view the graph of [tex] w [/tex] you would see a 'jump' in the two portions of the graph at [tex] x = 2 [/tex]. What you need to do is find the values of [tex] a [/tex] and [tex] b [/tex] to make your function have the types of behavior discussed here. Good luck.

If you could please relate that back to my question, it would be appreciated. Again, no answers but, I'm still a little confused and don't know where to start.

statdad said:
If a function has a removable discontinuity at [tex] x = a [/tex], that means these things.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to a^+} f(x) & = \lim_{x \to a^-} f(x)\\
\text{ so } & \lim_{x \to a} f(x) \text{ exists}\\
f(a) & \text{ is defined} \\
f(a) & \ne \lim_{x \to a^+} f(x)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

luck.
It is also the case where f(a) is not defined but the overall limit as x-->a exists. The way one can remove this is by defining the function at x=a.

P.S. I am sure you know this, but this is adressed to the OP.

1. How do I identify a removable discontinuity in a function?

A removable discontinuity, also known as a removable singularity, occurs when there is a hole or gap in the graph of a function at a particular point. This means that the function is undefined at that point. To identify a removable discontinuity, you need to check if the function is continuous at that point. If it is not continuous, there is a removable discontinuity.

2. What causes a removable discontinuity in a function?

A removable discontinuity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a cancellation of terms in the function, a simplification of the function, or a restriction on the domain of the function. It can also occur when a function is undefined at a particular point, but can be made continuous by filling in the gap with a single value.

3. How do I determine if a function has a jump discontinuity?

A jump discontinuity, also known as a step discontinuity, occurs when there is a sudden change or jump in the graph of a function at a particular point. To determine if a function has a jump discontinuity, you need to check if the limit of the function from the left side of the point is not equal to the limit from the right side of the point. If the limits do not match, there is a jump discontinuity.

4. What is the difference between a removable and a jump discontinuity?

The main difference between a removable and a jump discontinuity is that a removable discontinuity can be removed or filled in by assigning a single value to the gap in the graph, while a jump discontinuity cannot be removed in this way. A jump discontinuity is a more abrupt change in the function, while a removable discontinuity is a smoother, but still undefined, point in the graph.

5. How can I use calculus to determine if a function has a removable or jump discontinuity?

Calculus can be used to determine if a function has a removable or jump discontinuity by evaluating the limit of the function at the point in question. If the limit exists and is equal to a single value, the discontinuity is removable. If the limit does not exist or is not equal to a single value, the discontinuity is a jump discontinuity.