How do we argue that gravity is not a force due to curvature of space-time?

In summary, the concept of gravity as a force due to curvature of space-time can be argued by observing that massive objects, such as the Earth, follow a curved path in space-time due to their innate velocity. This is similar to how the Earth orbits the sun without the need for a force, as its velocity keeps it on a geodesic path. This principle applies to all objects, including humans, but the force of gravity is only noticeable in very large objects. Additionally, the fact that gravity does not depend on the material of an object further supports the idea of it being a result of space-time curvature.
Chaste

Homework Statement

How do we argue that gravity is not a force due to curvature of space-time?

Homework Equations

I'm new.. I don't even understand the eqn of tensor calculus.

The Attempt at a Solution

No force is needed for as massive objects follows the curvature of spacetime with their innate velocity? Just like the Earth orbits around the sun because its velocity sustains it in the path of curvature caused by the sun?

I'm writing an essay on this. and I need more points to elaborate on curvature.
Thanks for all help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea basically. The Earth thinks its going in a straight line, but since the space around Earth is curved by the sun, the Earth follows a circular trajectory as a result. The key word "geodesic."

What gives the Earth its inherent/innate velocity to maintain its trajectory/geodisic movement instead of being attracted towards the sun?
Does this velocity only apply to massive objects? what about smaller objects like humans, do we attract each other?

well the Earth is attracted towards the sun, or else it would fly out into space. It continues to move though because there is nothing to stop it (see, "Newtons first law of motion").
Yes, all objects attract all other things gravitationally, even humans. Even individual atoms attract others gravitationally, but the force is extraordinarily weak and it is really only noticeable in very large objects such as planets and stars.

A telling case could be made against gravity being interpreted as curvature of spacetime if there were a dependence of gravity on the material an object is made of instead of just it's mass. So a gold satellite would orbit differently from an aluminum satellite it would make it difficult to interpret as geometry. As far as we know so far, they don't. Look up the Eotvos experiment. Work in this direction is still going on. Look up Gravity Probe B. Work those into your essay.

One point to note... My essay is to understandable to a layman and my tutor told me to focus more on the geometry/geodesic such that NO FORCE is required between masses.

I was wondering how do I explain geodesics in a laymanized manner. sigh

What is the concept of gravity as a force due to curvature of space-time?

The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, suggests that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the effect of the warping of space and time by massive objects. This warping, or curvature, is what we experience as gravity.

How does this concept differ from the traditional understanding of gravity as a force?

The traditional understanding of gravity as a force between masses is based on Isaac Newton's theory of gravity, which suggests that masses attract each other with a force that is proportional to their masses and the distance between them. In contrast, the concept of gravity as a curvature of space-time does not involve any force between masses.

What evidence supports the idea of gravity as a curvature of space-time?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the theory of gravity as a curvature of space-time. One of the most well-known is the observation of the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars. This phenomenon can only be explained by the warping of space-time caused by the massive object's gravity.

Can you explain how the curvature of space-time causes objects to move towards each other?

The curvature of space-time is caused by the presence of mass or energy. Any object with mass or energy will cause a curvature in space and time around it. When two objects are in this curved space-time, they will follow the path of least resistance, which is towards each other due to the curvature. This is what we experience as the force of gravity.

Is there any way to prove that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature of space-time?

While it is difficult to prove a negative, the concept of gravity as a curvature of space-time has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to accurately predict the behavior of gravity. Additionally, there have been no observations or experiments that contradict this theory. Therefore, the evidence strongly supports the idea that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature of space-time.