Can students taking engineering maths cope with the physics maths?

In summary, students with a background in engineering mathematics should have no trouble understanding the mathematics in physics courses. While a strong foundation in engineering mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to excel in physics courses. Students without a background in engineering mathematics can still do well in physics courses, as the basics are often covered and can be learned through course material and practice. Although there may be some differences in the specific applications, the core concepts and techniques used in both engineering mathematics and physics mathematics are often the same. To prepare for the mathematics in physics courses, students can review basic math concepts and practice problems, as well as seek assistance from tutors or attend review sessions.
New|c
hi guys, got a problem down here. I am a student majoring in electronics engineering. Will there be any problem if i switch? thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
New|c said:
hi guys, got a problem down here. I am a student majoring in electronics engineering. Will there be any problem if i switch? thanks
It really depends on you and the programs, I don't think there's a general answer.

it all depends on you, my roommate is an electronics engineering major and i can't understand a damn thing in that book. if you switch, you might have to forget about 1/2 of your terminology. :confused:

1. Can students with a background in engineering mathematics handle the mathematics in physics courses?

Yes, students with a strong foundation in engineering mathematics should have no trouble understanding the mathematics in physics courses. Both subjects use similar mathematical concepts and techniques, such as calculus and algebra, so students who are familiar with engineering mathematics should be able to apply their knowledge to physics math.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in engineering mathematics to do well in physics courses?

While a strong background in engineering mathematics can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary to excel in physics courses. Some students may struggle more with the conceptual aspects of physics rather than the mathematical ones. However, having a solid foundation in mathematics can certainly make it easier to grasp and apply the mathematical concepts in physics.

3. Can students without a background in engineering mathematics still do well in physics courses?

Yes, students without a background in engineering mathematics can still do well in physics courses. Physics courses typically start with the basics and build upon them, so even if a student is not familiar with certain mathematical concepts, they can still learn and understand them through the course material and practice.

4. Are there any major differences between engineering mathematics and physics mathematics?

While there may be some differences in the specific applications of mathematics in engineering and physics, the core concepts and techniques are often the same. Both subjects use calculus, algebra, and other mathematical tools to solve problems and analyze data. The main difference may be in the context in which these concepts are applied.

5. How can students prepare for the mathematics in physics courses if they are not familiar with engineering mathematics?

Students can prepare for the mathematics in physics courses by reviewing basic math concepts, such as algebra and trigonometry, and practicing problems from textbooks or online resources. It can also be helpful to attend review sessions or seek assistance from a tutor to strengthen their math skills before starting a physics course.