Physics on table tennis

In summary: However, the main factor in spin is the Magnus effect, not the Bernoulli principle.The person is interested in the physics of table tennis and has done their own research on the subject. They are focusing on understanding how to measure the spin of a table tennis ball and what it is measured in, specifically if it is measured in revolutions or torque. They are also curious about the relationship between the Bernoulli principle and the Magnus effect in relation to spin in table tennis. They have found that both are relevant, with the Magnus effect being the main factor in spin.
Confuzzled
Hello, I’ve become a keen table tennis player, of which i study physics at A-level, and was hoping to the physics on table tennis, as i have been taught little relevant research on the subject. Of which iv decided to do some research of my own into the subject.
I have found lots of information on the physics of table tennis but cannot find any relevant information on spin. I want to know how to measure the spin of a table tennis ball? and what it is measured in? I assume it would be revs or torque?
Regards

EDIT: Also what is related to this question i have brought up, the bernoulli principle? or the magnus effect or both? As i was doing my research got the picture that it was the bernoulli principle, but i then brought this up with my physics teacher who said to go and research the magnus effect? If any could clarify for me as both laws seem the same? what is the difference
Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Confuzzled said:
EDIT: Also what is related to this question i have brought up, the bernoulli principle? or the magnus effect or both? As i was doing my research got the picture that it was the bernoulli principle, but i then brought this up with my physics teacher who said to go and research the magnus effect? If any could clarify for me as both laws seem the same? what is the difference
Regards

Both. You see, the magnus effect sets up a boundary layer of rotating air around the ball. This boundary layer then interacts with air outside the boundary layer, in a manner which creates a pressure differential as per the Bernoulli effect.

Dear table tennis player and physics student,

It's great to hear that you have become a keen table tennis player and are incorporating your knowledge of physics into your game! Table tennis is a sport that involves a lot of physics principles, especially when it comes to spin.

To measure the spin of a table tennis ball, you can use a device called a spinometer. This device attaches to the racket and measures the amount of spin on the ball in revolutions per minute (RPM). Alternatively, you can also use a high-speed camera to track the rotation of the ball and calculate the spin.

The spin of a table tennis ball is measured in RPM, which is a unit of angular velocity. This measures the rate of rotation of the ball around its axis. Torque, on the other hand, measures the force that causes an object to rotate. In table tennis, the spin of the ball is caused by both the Bernoulli principle and the Magnus effect.

The Bernoulli principle states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. In table tennis, when a ball is spinning, it creates a difference in air pressure on either side of the ball. This difference in pressure causes the ball to curve in the direction of lower pressure, resulting in the spin.

The Magnus effect, on the other hand, is related to the rotation of the ball. As the ball spins, it creates a difference in air pressure above and below the ball. This difference in pressure causes the ball to experience a lift force, causing it to curve in the direction of the spin. This is why a ball with topspin will dip and a ball with backspin will rise.

In conclusion, both the Bernoulli principle and the Magnus effect play a role in the spin of a table tennis ball. The Bernoulli principle is related to the direction of the spin, while the Magnus effect is related to the amount of spin. I hope this helps clarify the difference between the two and how they both contribute to the physics of table tennis. Keep up the great work in both table tennis and physics!

Best regards,

1. How does the spin of a table tennis ball affect its trajectory?

The spin of a table tennis ball is a crucial factor in determining its trajectory. When a player applies spin to the ball, it creates an imbalance in the air flow around the ball, causing it to curve in a certain direction. This is known as the Magnus effect. A ball with topspin will dip faster and bounce higher, while a ball with backspin will float and have a lower bounce. Sidespin will cause the ball to curve to the left or right. Understanding and being able to control spin is essential for success in table tennis.

2. How does the speed of a table tennis ball affect its bounce?

The speed of a table tennis ball is directly related to its bounce. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When a fast-moving ball hits the table, it compresses the surface, causing it to rebound at a higher speed. This is why a fast serve is more difficult to return than a slower one. The material and thickness of the table, as well as the type and condition of the ball, also play a role in the ball's bounce.

3. What is the optimal angle for a table tennis racket?

The optimal angle for a table tennis racket is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for maximum control and power in shots. A flatter angle can result in a loss of control, while a steeper angle can lead to a loss of power. However, the optimal angle can also vary based on an individual player's style and technique. It is important for players to experiment and find the angle that works best for them.

4. How does friction impact the movement of a table tennis ball?

Friction plays a significant role in the movement of a table tennis ball. When the ball hits the table, it experiences a change in velocity due to the friction between the ball and the surface. This friction is also affected by the spin on the ball. A ball with topspin will experience less friction, allowing it to move faster, while a ball with backspin will experience more friction, causing it to slow down. Understanding how friction affects the ball's movement is important for players to anticipate and react to shots.

5. What is the difference between a table tennis ball and a regular ball?

A table tennis ball is significantly different from a regular ball. It is smaller, lighter, and has a lower air resistance, allowing it to move faster through the air. It is also made of celluloid or plastic material which gives it a higher bounce. The surface of a table tennis ball is also unique, with a matte finish to reduce glare and improve visibility. These differences are crucial in creating the fast-paced and precise gameplay of table tennis.