Betelgeuse Shrinking: My PhD Journey & Its Possible SN

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, Betelgeuse, a star 400 light years away, is shrinking and may be about to go supernova. However, it is likely to be a type II supernova, which will be bright but not as intense as a sun-burn. The fact that it is shrinking is a sign that it is on the verge of a core collapse, and this shrinking and expansion cycle will continue for many more years before it fully explodes. Therefore, it is possible that the star has already exploded, but we are unable to detect it at this time. This concept is quite thought-provoking.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Betelgeuse! Betelgeuse! Betel-- BOOM!

Betelgeuse is definitely on the virge of going nova [core collapse]. The shrinking thing is a clue. Shrink and expansion cycles will likely occur for many more years before it gives up the ghost.

So technically, it could have exploded many years ago. We just can't notice it yet. I find that quite thought provoking.

1. What is Betelgeuse and why is it important?

Betelgeuse is a red supergiant star located in the constellation Orion. It is one of the brightest stars in the night sky and is important because it is expected to go supernova in the near future, making it a key object of study for scientists.

2. How do you know that Betelgeuse is shrinking?

We have been observing Betelgeuse for many years using various instruments such as telescopes and spectrographs. By tracking its changes in size and brightness, we have determined that it is indeed shrinking.

3. What is the significance of your PhD journey in relation to Betelgeuse?

My PhD research focuses on studying the evolution and potential supernova of Betelgeuse. By analyzing data and conducting experiments, I hope to contribute to our understanding of this fascinating star and its role in the universe.

4. What does a possible supernova of Betelgeuse mean for us?

If Betelgeuse does go supernova, it will be an incredible event to witness. It will also provide us with valuable information about the life cycle of stars and the processes involved in creating new elements in the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of a Betelgeuse supernova for our planet?

The exact effects of a Betelgeuse supernova on Earth are still uncertain, but it is unlikely to have any significant impact on our planet. However, the supernova may have a dramatic effect on the surrounding space and could potentially affect the Earth's atmosphere and climate.