Circular orbit VS Elliptical orbit? Differences?

In summary, Belinda takes a trip in a rocket ship that travels at near light speed of her twin Melinda stays at home. When Belinda arrives back on Earth Melinda will be much older than Belinda because from Belindas frame of reference on the rocket,time in Melindas frame of reference was passing slowly.
graphicer89
Circular orbit VS Elliptical orbit?? Differences?

Homework Statement

Hi I am trying to understand some questions about Space and man made satellites...i would really appreciate it if someone could help me out thanks...also i included an extra question about the theory of relativity if you can help me out i would appreciate it...

6) What conditions must be met if a man made satellite is to attain a CIRCULAR ORBIT around the earth? ( choose as many as apply)
A) It must be launched with a tangential speed of 0
B) It must be launched with a tangential speed of 8 km/s
C) It must be launched with a tangential speed greater than 8 km/s
D)It must be launched horizontally at a distance over 150 km above the Earth
E) It must be launched vertically with a speed of 8 km/s

4) What conditions must be met if a man made satellite is to attain an ELLIPTICAL ORBIT around the earth? (choose as many as apply)
A) It must be launched with a tangential speed of 0
B) It must be launched with a tangential speed of 8 km/s
C) It must be launched with a tangential speed greater than 8 km/s
D)It must be launched horizontally at a distance over 150 km above the Earth
E) It must be launched vertically with a speed of 8 km/s

Belinda takes a trip in a rocket ship that travels at near light speed of her twin Melinda stays at home. Which of the following statements is true?
A) When Belinda arrives back at earth, Melinda will be much older than Belinda because from Belindas frame of reference on the rocket,time in Melindas frame of reference was passing slowly.
B) When Belinda arrives back on Earth Melinda will be much older than Belinda because Belindas frame of reference on the rocket is not an inertial reference frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi graphicer89! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you think (with reasons), and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Well the questions about Belinda i think its A because Belinda (THe one who went to space ) her traveling at the speed of light made time for her to pass slowly but i am not sure though...the INERTIAL REFERENCE FRAME on the second one throws me offf...but talking about the first 2 i think the 6 i think is B and E because it falls around the Earth so it has to be less than 11. ? of the escape speed...and number 4 i think C and D because that one is like an oval ..it rotates around the Earth and keeps going pass the earth...but what do you think??

1. What is the difference between a circular orbit and an elliptical orbit?

A circular orbit is when an object travels around another object in a perfect circle, while an elliptical orbit is when an object travels around another object in an oval-shaped path.

2. Which type of orbit is more common in our solar system?

Circular orbits are more common in our solar system, with most planets and moons orbiting the sun in nearly circular paths. However, there are also many examples of elliptical orbits, such as comets and some dwarf planets.

3. How do the speeds of objects in circular and elliptical orbits differ?

In a circular orbit, an object's speed remains constant throughout its orbit. In an elliptical orbit, an object's speed changes as it moves closer to or farther away from the object it is orbiting. An object in an elliptical orbit moves faster when it is closer to the object it is orbiting.

4. Can objects transition from a circular orbit to an elliptical orbit?

Yes, objects can transition from a circular orbit to an elliptical orbit and vice versa. This can happen due to gravitational influences from other objects or changes in the object's velocity.

5. How do the shapes of orbits affect the distance between objects?

In a circular orbit, the distance between objects remains constant throughout the orbit. In an elliptical orbit, the distance between objects varies, with the closest point being the perihelion and the farthest point being the aphelion.