Is H1N1 swine flu too convenient?

• Thread starter pillar
  • Start date
In summary, there is a conversation about the economy downturn and Obama's push for a 1000 page healthcare bill. Some believe that the media's hype of the swine flu is meant to divert attention from the economy and garner support for the healthcare policy. Others argue that the swine flu is a legitimate global concern and not just an issue in the United States. The idea of healthcare reform is seen as a key to survival for those struggling with unemployment and lack of affordable healthcare. However, conspiracy theories are not allowed and the discussion is locked for moderation.
pillar
Just think about it, there's an economy down turn and Obama is ramming 1000 page healthcare bill down people throats. Perhaps the swine flu being hyped by the media is meant to get peoples attention off the economy and accept Obama's healthcare policy. Seems like there maybe a storm a brewing, so maybe survival could be the key. This post is not meant to be racist, but express my concern over the hyping of swine flu as if it would pull a katrina.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know swine flu was only an issue in the states? I was under the impression Brits were getting quarantined in foreign countries and there were significant cases within the UK itself. But of course, as per usual, it's all about the USA. The whole world is doing its damndest to get the USA healthcare bill approved. Enough said.

Seriously, the whole world went swine flu mad, not just america, I find that a very closed view to only look at the USA side of things and ignore the fact that UK (and other countries) press has gone wild for it. If ther rest of the world does, why shouldn't americas? It doesn't automatically mean they are trying to push something.

I have not noticed any lack of discussion of the economy in the media. I also am unsure why you think the economy being bad is something people would have to not think about in order to accept the idea of heathcare reform. Many people see the economy as a 'storm a brewing' and are worried about losing their jobs and not being able to afford healthcare so are probably finding the idea of healthcare reform 'key' to 'survival'. A rather significant percentage of citizens are already dealing with being unemployed and/or not being able to afford healthcare. One needn't be threatened by the next plague or something to worry about survival.

pillar said:
Just think about it, there's an economy down turn and Obama is ramming 1000 page healthcare bill down people throats. Perhaps the swine flu being hyped by the media is meant to get peoples attention off the economy and accept Obama's healthcare policy. Seems like there maybe a storm a brewing, so maybe survival could be the key. This post is not meant to be racist, but express my concern over the hyping of swine flu as if it would pull a katrina.

First of all, Obama is pushing for health care reform. There are currently something like five bills being considered that were all written by Congress, not the Obama admin.

The swine flu was not hyped. As has been stated, the concern was global. The reason is that the flu has characterstics indicating that it could represent a serious threat to public health - I believe mainly the ease with which it can be transmitted to others. Luckily, as yet, it has not proven to be any more deadly that the common flu.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theories are not allowed. Locked pending moderation.

1. Is H1N1 swine flu man-made?

There is no evidence to suggest that H1N1 swine flu is man-made. It is a naturally occurring virus that can infect both humans and pigs.

2. How did H1N1 swine flu originate?

H1N1 swine flu is thought to have originated from a strain of influenza viruses that circulate among pigs in North America. The virus likely mutated and spread to humans through direct contact with infected pigs or through exposure to contaminated environments.

3. Is H1N1 swine flu more dangerous than other types of flu?

No, H1N1 swine flu is not necessarily more dangerous than other types of flu. However, it does have the potential to cause severe illness and even death in certain populations, such as young children, pregnant women, and individuals with underlying health conditions.

4. Can H1N1 swine flu be prevented?

Yes, H1N1 swine flu can be prevented through vaccination, good hygiene practices, and avoiding close contact with individuals who are sick. It is important to get vaccinated every year, as the virus can evolve and change over time.

5. Is H1N1 swine flu still a concern?

While H1N1 swine flu is not currently a pandemic, it is still considered a concern as it continues to circulate and cause illness in certain populations. It is important to stay informed and take preventative measures to protect yourself and others from the virus.