Quick conceptual question about inductance

In summary, when a switch in a circuit is closed for a period of time, the inductor acts like a battery, storing energy in its magnetic field. When the switch is opened, the inductor can continue to drive the current until the stored energy is dissipated. However, if the switch is left open for a prolonged period of time, the emf drops to zero and it is unclear whether the energy is still considered to be stored in the inductor. The circuit includes a battery, a series resistor, and an inductor, with another resistor in parallel to the inductor. The equation V(t) = L(dI(t)/dt) demonstrates the voltage across the inductor is proportional to the time rate of change of the
JDiorio
Ok so i understand that after a switch in a circuit is closed for awhile the inductor acts like a battery, however, what happens after the switch is opened after being closed for awhile.
A review question asks whether the energy:

- is converted to sound and spark
- remains stored in the inductor
- goes into driving the current across the resistor

I want to say it is stored in the inductor, but i know that after the switch is left open for awhile, the emf is zero. So i don't know whether the energy is considered to be stored in the inductor.

Physics news on Phys.org
JDiorio said:
Ok so i understand that after a switch in a circuit is closed for awhile the inductor acts like a battery, however, what happens after the switch is opened after being closed for awhile.
A review question asks whether the energy:

- is converted to sound and spark
- remains stored in the inductor
- goes into driving the current across the resistor

I want to say it is stored in the inductor, but i know that after the switch is left open for awhile, the emf is zero. So i don't know whether the energy is considered to be stored in the inductor.

Welcome to the PF. Why do you say that the inductor acts like a battery? I hadn't heard that analogy before, and it sounds wrong unless I'm missing some subtlety.

What is the equation that relates the current through an inductor and the voltage across it? And what about a real inductor limits the build-up of current when a constant voltage is put across it?

And what resistor are you alluding to in the problem statement above?

Thanks..

Maybe I am wrong. I had the impression that while the switch is closed an inductor takes on a charge and after the switch is closed, the inductor can keep the current flowing until the charge dissipates.

the circuit consists of a battery in series with a resistor in series with an inductor.. and then another resistor in parallel with the inductor.

JDiorio said:
Thanks..

Maybe I am wrong. I had the impression that while the switch is closed an inductor takes on a charge and after the switch is closed, the inductor can keep the current flowing until the charge dissipates.

the circuit consists of a battery in series with a resistor in series with an inductor.. and then another resistor in parallel with the inductor.

Where is the switch in the circuit?

Current through an inductor stores energy in the magnetic field of the inductor. The current cannot change instantaneously (just as the voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously). The equation that I was hoping you would write out for the inductor is:

[tex]V(t) = L \frac{dI(t)}{dt}[/tex]

That means that the voltage across the inductor is equal to the inductance L multiplied by the time rate of change of the current through the inductor. The other way to write this equation is in the integral form:

[tex]I(t) = \frac{1}{L} \int {V(t) dt} [/tex]

So if you have a constant voltage across an ideal inductor, the current climbs without limit. In the circuit you describe, the series resistor will limit the current...

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Henry (H).

2. How is inductance calculated?

Inductance is calculated using the formula L = (N^2 x µ x A)/l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, µ is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

3. What is the relationship between inductance and current?

The inductance of a circuit is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that as the current increases, so does the inductance, and vice versa.

4. How does inductance affect AC and DC circuits?

Inductance has different effects on AC and DC circuits. In AC circuits, it creates impedance, which limits the flow of current. In DC circuits, it causes a delay in the buildup of current, known as inductive reactance.

5. What are some real-life applications of inductance?

Inductance has many practical applications, including in transformers, motors, generators, and inductors used in electronic circuits. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnets, and in MRI machines for medical imaging.