Solving PDEs: A Guide | Hello Friends

• Thread starter alokgautam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, Alok is seeking help with a second order differential equation for a 3D system. They have already solved the axysimmetric solution and are now looking for a solution for the entire system. They are also searching for resources to assist with the derivation of the equation. Their friend suggests using a software called Surface Evolver for solving this type of problem. Alok expresses gratitude and will try the suggested software.
alokgautam
Hello friends please attached file to see my problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First term is actually the expression for mean curvature (H(z(x,y))) for a local patch. your equation reads:
[tex]H-z/c=0[/tex]
(is that a bubble subject to gravity?) that said, I think you might better try an axysimmetric solution first, z(r), as your forcing (z/c) does not depend on x or y.
[tex]\frac{z_{,rr}}{(1+z_{r}^{2})^{3/2}}+\frac{z_{,r}}{r(1+z_{,r}^{2})^{1/2}}-z/c=0[/tex]
this is an ODE (a though one). You should add your conditions, depending on wether the surface is closed (periodicity) or open (contact angle somewhere). Finding equilibrium configurations of free surfaces is not easy!

Hi,
Thanks for reply and help
Yes you are write this first term is mean curvature.
For axysimmetric this become Second order differential equation that is easy to solve. I already did that part now I am looking for 3D system. If u can help in the derivation of this equation that will be very helpful for me for me.
Is there any site in which the derivation of this equation is given.
Rest is fine
Take care
alok

gato_ said:
First term is actually the expression for mean curvature (H(z(x,y))) for a local patch. your equation reads:
[tex]H-z/c=0[/tex]
(is that a bubble subject to gravity?) that said, I think you might better try an axysimmetric solution first, z(r), as your forcing (z/c) does not depend on x or y.
[tex]\frac{z_{,rr}}{(1+z_{r}^{2})^{3/2}}+\frac{z_{,r}}{r(1+z_{,r}^{2})^{1/2}}-z/c=0[/tex]
this is an ODE (a though one). You should add your conditions, depending on wether the surface is closed (periodicity) or open (contact angle somewhere). Finding equilibrium configurations of free surfaces is not easy!

Except for a few particular cases, this is a difficult kind of problem to solve. Try here, for a software specifically designed for it
http://www.susqu.edu/facstaff/b/brakke/evolver/evolver.html

Dear Friend,
Thank you very much.
I will try this surface evolver software.
rest is fine
take care
Alok

gato_ said:
Except for a few particular cases, this is a difficult kind of problem to solve. Try here, for a software specifically designed for it
http://www.susqu.edu/facstaff/b/brakke/evolver/evolver.html

1. What is PDE?

PDE stands for Partial Differential Equation. It is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How can PDEs be solved?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, Fourier transform, finite difference methods, and numerical approximation techniques. The choice of method depends on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.

3. Why is it important to solve PDEs?

PDEs are essential for understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. They have many applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and economics. Solving PDEs allows us to make accurate predictions and improve our understanding of these systems.

4. What are the challenges of solving PDEs?

PDEs can be very complex and difficult to solve analytically. They often require advanced mathematical techniques and specialized software. In addition, the boundary conditions and initial conditions must be carefully considered, as they can greatly impact the solution.

5. How can I learn more about solving PDEs?

There are many resources available for learning about PDEs and their solution methods. You can start by studying calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. There are also online courses, textbooks, and research papers on the topic. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining a study group can be helpful in understanding and solving PDEs.