Freeze Beer in 2 Seconds - Max's Question

• Thread starter Max_sky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, there is a video circulating on YouTube that shows a beer freezing in just 2 seconds. Many people are wondering if this is real or if there is any logic behind it. Some suggest using liquid nitrogen or increasing the temperature difference between the beer and its surroundings. Others argue that the carbon dioxide content in the beer is the key factor, as demonstrated by similar experiments with water. However, it is important to handle these substances with caution and to remember the principles of heating and cooling when attempting such experiments.
Max_sky
Hello Frndz,

Yesterday I watched i video on You tube, The video shows a beer freezing in 2 sec. I was wondering if the video was fake or it is possible to do so. If it is true, can anyone tell me whatz the logic behind this..?

Thanx

Max

Physics news on Phys.org
Try liquid nitrogen.

The larger the temperature difference between two mediums (like a beer can and the air around it), the faster the temperature of the hotter medium changes.

Liquid nitrogen would do the trick. If they don't use it... very very very cold air?

Char. Limit's right in that if you want to cool anything faster, you just increase the temperature difference between the two objects (http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/diffeqs/cool.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
what about Peltier effect.

see the link below

i don't think any external medium is used here...

The same thing happen with us few days back but with a soft drink...
the waiter brought an bottle kept in freezer for 2-3 days, as he kept the bottle on the table bubbles started coming off its bottom and the liquid was frozen in seconds...:bugeye:

Freeze beer...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
don't do it!

It's because the freezing point of the liquid is dependent on its carbon dioxide content. By "knocking" the beer, CO2 is released, raising the freezing temperature above that of the liquid and causing the liquid to freeze. The trick should work with any liquid that releases bubbles when knocked, or shaken, such as soda.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
It's because the freezing point of the liquid is dependent on its carbon dioxide content.

Claude.

It has nothing to do with CO2 raising the freeze point of the liquid. Plain water will do the same thing. Check out many videos on the net showing water instantly freezing. Check out the explanations of why this happens.

Char. Limit said:
Try liquid nitrogen.

The larger the temperature difference between two mediums (like a beer can and the air around it), the faster the temperature of the hotter medium changes.

Liquid nitrogen would do the trick. If they don't use it... very very very cold air?

No, I am quite sure you wouldn't be able to cool a "normal" beer held at room temperature to below freezing in a couple of second with LN2 (not that I have tried to cool a can, but I do use LN2 on a daily basis), cooling something as big and massive takes time and initially you would just be boiling off a lot of nitrogen (which creates gas, which "insulates" the can a bit etc; Newtons law of cooling is only approximately valid in situations like this).

So, the answer is that the beer in the can was already supercritical. You don't actually have to cool it any further in order to freeze it.

ruko said:
It has nothing to do with CO2 raising the freeze point of the liquid. Plain water will do the same thing. Check out many videos on the net showing water instantly freezing. Check out the explanations of why this happens.

I think in this case it does have to do with the CO2.
I also checked out a similar video about water and I think I heard somewhere that keeping a bottle of water in salted water, it keeps the water in the bottle from freezing. And then when knocked on the table, it must somehow change the structure of the water, freezing it.

Though that was completely theorizing. No facts found to back me up.

Liquid Nitrogen and CO2 are a bit dangerous for untrained people to handle.. hopefully there will come a time where they would have technology to freeze things instantly.. Similar to microwaves maybe.. could there be a frequency to stop water molecules from moving and thereby freezing the water..

fawk3s said:
I think in this case it does have to do with the CO2.
I also checked out a similar video about water and I think I heard somewhere that keeping a bottle of water in salted water, it keeps the water in the bottle from freezing. And then when knocked on the table, it must somehow change the structure of the water, freezing it.

Though that was completely theorizing. No facts found to back me up.

De-ionized water works the best for these super cooled water demos with distilled water coming in second. Both of these versions of water purity have no salts or CO2 in them. You can verfy this at many web sites.

charliedavids said:
Liquid Nitrogen and CO2 are a bit dangerous for untrained people to handle.. hopefully there will come a time where they would have technology to freeze things instantly.. Similar to microwaves maybe.. could there be a frequency to stop water molecules from moving and thereby freezing the water..

I believe there probably is a frequency that would stop water molecules from moving. If they stopped moving, instant ice. The most recent atomic clock uses lasers to cool a gas down to almost absolute zero. I suppose the lasers are tuned to the gas natural frequency and fed to it 180 degrees out of phase. I'm glad someone else thought of this, means I'm not the only one.

You don't have to guess about any of this. Use Newton's law of heating and cooling and see if an absolute zero environment will freeze the beer in 2 seconds. Or find the highest temperature that can freeze a beer in 2 seconds, and then see what the possibilities are

you could also do the whole specific heat capacity thing, but you would need to know the latent heat of fusion of beer, or the reverse of fusion, i can't remember

ruko said:
Both of these versions of water purity have no salts or CO2 in them.

No, I wasnt referring to the super-cooled water. I was referring to the water in which the bottle of the pure water was kept in.
Just an idea though.

EDIT: Just read about the supercooling. Pretty amazing what you can do with pure water, indeed..

Last edited:

1. How does the "Freeze Beer in 2 Seconds" process work?

The process involves using a supercooled liquid, typically liquid nitrogen, to rapidly cool the beer to freezing temperatures in just 2 seconds. This is achieved by immersing the beer bottle or can in the liquid nitrogen, which has a temperature of around -320°F (-196°C). The rapid cooling process causes the beer to freeze almost instantly.

2. Is it safe to drink beer that has been frozen in 2 seconds?

Yes, it is safe to drink beer that has been frozen using this method. The rapid freezing process does not affect the taste or quality of the beer. However, it is important to note that the liquid nitrogen used in the process can be dangerous if not handled properly, so it is recommended to leave this type of experiment to professionals.

3. Can I use any type of beer for this process?

Yes, this process can be used on any type of beer. However, it is recommended to use light or low-alcohol beers as they tend to freeze more quickly. Beers with a higher alcohol content may take longer to freeze or may not freeze at all.

4. How does the freezing time compare to using a freezer?

The freezing time using this process is significantly faster than using a freezer. While a freezer may take around 30 minutes to an hour to freeze a beer, this process can freeze a beer in just 2 seconds. It is a much quicker and more efficient method.

5. Can I try this at home?

While it is possible to try this at home, it is not recommended. The use of liquid nitrogen can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is best to leave this experiment to professionals who have the necessary equipment and training to do it safely.