Refilled Leaking container ODE

In summary, the author is trying to solve a differential equation for a leaking cylindrical container that is refilled at a constant rate. The leaking starts from the bottom, refilled from the top, and the water speed is v.
SidVicious
I have to set up a differential equation for a leaking cylindrical container that is being refilled at a constant rate. Its leaking from the bottom, refilled from the top, and starts empty.
Wondered if someone could check if what i have done so far is right..?
h=height of water
A=cylinder cross section
a=hole cross section
v=speed of water out = Sqrt(2gh) using Torricelli’s Law
b=rate of water going in

Rate of change of volume dV/dt= -av+b = A*dh/dt
Sub in v = Sqrt(2gh):
A*dh/dt=-a*sqrt(2gh)+b -----> dh/dt = (-a*Sqrt(2gh)+b)/A

Any errors?!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine to me. As long as the formula for v is correct.

Torquil

Thanks Torquil.
I have to solve this using Eulers method:
yn+1 = yn + hf(xn,yn)
xn+1 = xn + h
where h is a step in x, to be chosen.
y=height of water(original h)
x=t
f(x,y) = dh/dt

As there is no t on the rhs of the differential equation will this formula work?

n=o : yn=0(t=o)=0
n=1 : yn=1 = (yn=0) + h((-a*Sqrt(2g(yn=0))+b)/A)
n=2 : yn=2 = (yn=0) + h((-a*Sqrt(2g(yn=0))+b)/A) + h((-a*Sqrt(2g(yn=1))+b)/A)
etc..

I want to make a plot of y against x (height water vs time) at the end, can i do that using this method as there is no t on rhs...?!

Thanks again!

Yes that seems correct. To plot the height vs time, plot the points y_n vs h*x_n, for all values of n. Try doing everything for various small values of h to determine if the result has converged. Maybe you can even perform the integral analytically and get an exact result to compare with your computer simulation.

Torquil

Your equation looks correct for a cylindrical container with a hole at the bottom being refilled at a constant rate. However, there are a few things to consider when setting up a differential equation for this scenario:

1. The equation assumes that the height of the water (h) is changing continuously and smoothly, which may not be the case in real life. The water level may jump or fluctuate due to disturbances or turbulence.

2. The equation also assumes that the hole at the bottom is small enough that the water flow can be approximated as a point source. In reality, the size and shape of the hole can affect the rate of water flow.

3. The equation does not take into account the effects of air pressure on the water flow. If the container is sealed, the air pressure inside will increase as the water level rises, which can affect the rate of water flow.

Overall, your equation is a good starting point for modeling the scenario, but it may need to be adjusted or refined depending on the specific conditions and assumptions of the experiment.

1. What is a "Refilled Leaking container ODE"?

A Refilled Leaking container ODE refers to a situation where a container that has been previously used and refilled with a substance is now leaking.

2. What causes a Refilled Leaking container ODE?

There are several potential causes for a Refilled Leaking container ODE, including improper sealing of the container, damage to the container's material, or a reaction between the substance and the container's material.

3. Is a Refilled Leaking container ODE dangerous?

It depends on the substance being stored in the container. If the substance is hazardous or toxic, a Refilled Leaking container ODE can pose a danger to both human health and the environment. It is important to handle and dispose of the leaking container properly.

4. How can a Refilled Leaking container ODE be prevented?

To prevent a Refilled Leaking container ODE, it is important to properly seal the container after refilling and to regularly inspect the container for any damage or signs of leakage. It is also important to use compatible materials for both the container and the substance being stored.

5. What should I do if I encounter a Refilled Leaking container ODE?

If you come across a Refilled Leaking container ODE, it is important to handle it with caution and follow proper safety protocols. This may include wearing protective gear, disposing of the container in a designated hazardous waste facility, and properly cleaning up any spilled substance. It is also important to report the incident to the appropriate authorities or the company responsible for the container.