Solving DC Circuits Power Question: 15 Amps, 220 Volts

In summary, the question involves finding the time it takes for an electric clothes dryer to dry clothes with a mass of 7 kg when wet and 4 kg when dry. To solve this, we use the power formula (P = IV) to calculate the power used by the dryer (3300 J/s). Then, we use the latent heat of vaporization (2.26 x 10^6 J/kg) to determine the amount of energy needed to evaporate 3 kg of water. Finally, we can calculate the time by dividing the energy by the power, which gives us 34.2 minutes as the answer.
Flaneuse
DC Circuits -- Power?

I have a physics question I have been working on for quite some time, but have not yet been able to figure out. I am assuming it probably has more to do with unit conversions than with actual calculations, but I am rather stuck... Here is the question:
An electric clothes dryer draws 15 Amps at 220 Volts. If the clothes put into the dryer have a mass of 7 kg when wet and 4 kg when dry, how long does it take to dry the clothes? (Assume all heat energy goes into vaporizing the water; latent heat of vaporization = 2.26 x 10^6 J/kg)

I figured this was probably a question that had to do with power, since I was given current and voltage, so I used the fact that power=(current)(voltage). Since I know an amp is a Coulomb per second and a volt is a joule per Coulomb, I multiplied 15 Coulombs/second and 220 joules/Coulomb to get 3300 joules/second (or watts, but I had a feeling joules per second would be of more use to me).

I am stuck there though, quite unsure of what to do concerning the weight of water and the latent heat of vaporization. The answer is supposed to be 34.2 minutes. Could someone please give me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org

The power used by the dryer is (as you said) = 220Vrms * 15 = 3300J/s

Now how much energy do you need to dry the clothes?
You need to evaporate 3kg (7-4kg) of water.
You are told it takes 2.26MJ/kg

How many Joules?, you have Joules/second, so how many seconds?

Thanks! I really appreciate it :].

1. How do I calculate the power in a DC circuit with 15 amps and 220 volts?

To calculate power in a DC circuit, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. In this case, the power would be 3300 watts (15 amps x 220 volts).

2. What is the unit of measurement for power in a DC circuit?

The unit of measurement for power in a DC circuit is watts (W).

3. How does power affect the performance of a DC circuit?

Power is a measure of the rate at which energy is transferred in a circuit. In general, higher power means that the circuit can perform more work or deliver more energy. However, it is important to ensure that the circuit components can handle the amount of power being transferred to avoid damage.

4. Can I use a voltmeter and an ammeter to measure power in a DC circuit?

No, a voltmeter and an ammeter cannot be used to directly measure power in a DC circuit. However, you can use them to measure voltage and current, respectively, and then use the P = VI formula to calculate power.

5. How can I increase the power in a DC circuit?

The power in a DC circuit can be increased by increasing either the voltage or the current. This can be achieved by using a power supply with higher voltage or by adding components in parallel to increase the current. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the circuit components and ensure they can handle the increased power.