Solving Pendulum Problem: Find h & Resultant Angle

• Thread starter physicshelp98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, to solve a pendulum problem and find the height and resultant angle, you will need to use the equations of motion for a pendulum. This includes equations for the period, amplitude, and length of the pendulum, as well as for velocity and acceleration. You will also need to know the length of the pendulum, the mass of the object at the end, and initial conditions such as angle and velocity. The formula for finding the height is h = L - L*cos(theta), and the resultant angle can be found using theta = arcsin(h/L). Other equations, such as the energy equation and conservation of momentum, can also be used depending on the given information and problem.
physicshelp98

Homework Statement

a 2 kg pendulum of length 7 meters is moving at 1 m/s, calculate how high (h) the pendulum will rise; and the resultant angle.

Homework Equations

1/2mv2 = mgh

cos = Y/L

h = L ( 1- cos )

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2(2)(1)^2 = (2)(9.8) h
1 = 19.6h
1/19.6h
h = .051

just don't know how to go about gettign resultant angle

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing a diagram and writing out a trigonometric relationship using that diagram?

yeah i did and got h= 7 tan[tex]\theta[/tex], how would you find the actual angle that what I am having difficult with.

1. How do you solve a pendulum problem?

To solve a pendulum problem and find the height and resultant angle, you will need to use the equations of motion for a pendulum. These include the equations for the period, amplitude, and length of the pendulum, as well as the equations for the velocity and acceleration of the pendulum. By plugging in the given values and solving the equations, you can find the height and resultant angle of the pendulum.

2. What information do I need to solve a pendulum problem?

To solve a pendulum problem, you will need to know the length of the pendulum, the mass of the object at the end of the pendulum, and the initial conditions, such as the initial angle and initial velocity. You may also need to know the acceleration due to gravity, depending on the problem.

3. What is the formula for finding the height of a pendulum?

The formula for finding the height of a pendulum is h = L - L*cos(theta), where h is the height, L is the length of the pendulum, and theta is the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical.

4. How do I find the resultant angle of a pendulum?

The resultant angle of a pendulum can be found using the formula theta = arcsin(h/L), where theta is the resultant angle, h is the height of the pendulum, and L is the length of the pendulum.

5. Can I use a different formula to solve a pendulum problem?

Yes, there are multiple equations and formulas that can be used to solve a pendulum problem, depending on the given information and the specific problem being solved. Some other common equations for pendulum problems include the energy equation and the conservation of momentum equation.