Chipset / Compatible Processor Question

• Thread starter minger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processor
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to upgrade their 4-year-old Dell XPS 410 desktop for gaming purposes. They mention the current specs and their need for a faster processor. They also mention looking up a list of compatible CPUs and considering newer E series processors, but ultimately finding out that their chipset can only support up to an E6700. The conversation ends with the speaker closing the topic as they have found their answer.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my desktop, which is now about 4 years old. It's a Dell XPS 410. Since I've gotten it, I've bumped the RAM to 3 GB, and upgraded the video card to an ATI 4850. Currently, the processor is only a E6300 (@1.86 GHz).

Now, I've taken a job where I need to move away from everyone I know, so I plan on doing some gaming on this. It seems as though everything nowadays recommends at least 2.0 GHz processor, and running some benchmarks, I've gotten some low scores.

Now, my chipset is a P965 LG 775, and I've looked up a so-called compatible list at:
http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=22754

In this list, it seems the "best" CPU I can pick up would be an E6700. Newegg seems to carry an E6700, but it lists it as a Pentium series, not a Core 2 Duo. If I just search Google, I get a Newegg hit at this page to a discontinued item:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115002

Which has the same 4 MB L2 cache as described in the list, while the "Pentium" series E6700 which they have in stock is only 2 MB L2 cache.

Aside from the E6700 disparities, would it be unwise to choose a newer E series? I was kind of eying an E7500 or an E8400. Is it possible that the list is simply out-of-date?

Any hints/tips?

p.s. Yes, I know had I built this system, I'd have more options, but I did really get a great deal on it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Update:

After some research, that chipset can only take a 6700, E or Q series, maximum. Nothing more. This topic can be closed.

1. What is a chipset?

A chipset is a set of electronic components in a computer system's motherboard that manages data flow between the processor, memory, and other peripherals.

2. How do I know if a processor is compatible with a specific chipset?

The best way to determine compatibility is to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for a list of supported processors. You can also consult the chipset's specifications to see which processors are compatible.

3. Can I use a newer processor with an older chipset?

It is possible to use a newer processor with an older chipset, but it may require a BIOS update. However, not all newer processors are compatible with older chipsets, so it is important to check compatibility before making a purchase.

4. What happens if I use an incompatible processor with a chipset?

If you use an incompatible processor with a chipset, it may not work at all or may experience performance issues. It is important to ensure compatibility to avoid these potential problems.

5. Are there any other factors to consider besides chipset and processor compatibility?

Yes, there are other factors to consider such as the socket type, power requirements, and BIOS support. It is crucial to make sure all of these factors align for a successful and stable system.