How Much Force Is Needed to Move a 59 kg Crate?

• Thread starter anthonyr
  • Start date
In summary, if you please solve the following 4 problems, and post the solutions with the answers, I will be grateful:D
anthonyr
I have a homework due to this saturday, and i solved all the problems except for the following 4, if you please solve them, and post them with the solution, ill be greatful:D thanks in advance:) :

1)A 59 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling on a rope attached to the crate and inclined 12° above the horizontal. (a) If the coefficient of static friction is 0.56, what minimum force magnitude is required from the rope to start the crate moving? (b) If μk = 0.33, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration (m/s^2) of the crate?

2)Block A in Fig. 6-57 has mass mA = 4.00 kg, and block B has mass mB = 2.10 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is μk = 0.510. The inclined plane is frictionless and at angle θ = 32.0°. The pulley serves only to change the direction of the cord connecting the blocks. The cord has negligible mass. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks. (image is attached)

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/pict_6_57.gif

3)The force on a particle is directed along an x-axis and given by F = 0.96(x/2.6 - 1.6) where x is in meters and F is in Newtons. Find the work done by the force in moving the particle from x = 0 to x = 7.7 m4)A horse pulls a cart with a force of 37 lb at an angle of 29° above the horizontal and moves along at a speed of 7.2 mi/h. (a) How much work (in ft lb) does the force do in 23 min? (b) What is the average power (in horsepower, hp) of the force?

Thanks in advance:D

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

answers:

1) coefficient of static friction=0.56, then friction f= 0.56*m*g = 0.56*59*9.8=323.792N

at that stage, the system is in equilibrium, then summation of forces=0, then f=Tx= 323.792N

=>T, which is equal to Tx/cox(teta) where teta=12degrees, T=331.025N.

therefore, minimum force magnitude required to move the crate = 331.025N.

b)f2 = 190.8N = 0.33 * 59*9.8
Summation forces = Ma, where ay=0 and ax = (T-f2)/M = 2.254 m/s^22)P = m*g = 4*9.8 =39.2N
Px = Psin32 = 20.77 N = T
=> Tx = Tcos 32 = 17.61N

On B, f = 10.5N = Tb

Tequ = 17.66-10.5=7.16N

b) Summation forces = Ma, => 7.16/6.1 = a => a=1.17 m/s^23)W = F.(variation of x) = |F|.|x|.cos(teta) where teta=0 because F and x have the same orientation.
=> W = 0.96(x/2.6-1.6) * (x-x0) => W = 10.06 joules. where x-x0=7.7m

4) I didnt even know from where to start because I am not used to US units... I tried converting everything to SI, but still it didnt work!
2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, since the rope pulls upwards also, this will reduce the normal force and so the friction is also reduced

so what will the answer be? and what about the rest? :(

Anthonyr, you are required by the rules of this forum to attempt to solve the problems yourself, and to post your work. Then we can help you where you got stuck.

I did solve the problems, and posted them under answer, but the answers aren't correct... there is only the 4th question that i didnt really know... please someone answer my questions... I am sure i tried to do them as i posted my attempt to answer them... thanks:)

1. What is the purpose of "Questions to be answered*"?

The purpose of "Questions to be answered*" is to identify specific questions that need to be addressed in a research study or scientific investigation. These questions serve as a guide for the researcher to collect data and analyze results in order to answer the research question.

2. How do you determine the "Questions to be answered*"?

The "Questions to be answered*" are typically determined by conducting a thorough literature review, identifying gaps in existing research, and formulating research objectives. These objectives are then translated into specific questions that need to be answered in order to achieve the research goals.

3. Can "Questions to be answered*" change during the course of a study?

Yes, "Questions to be answered*" can change during the course of a study. This can happen if new information or unexpected findings arise, or if the initial questions are found to be irrelevant or inadequate. It is important for researchers to remain flexible and open to revising their questions as needed in order to ensure the validity and relevance of their study.

4. Are "Questions to be answered*" the same as research hypotheses?

No, "Questions to be answered*" are not the same as research hypotheses. While hypotheses are specific statements that predict the relationship between variables, questions are broader and more open-ended, seeking to explore and understand a phenomenon rather than make a specific prediction. However, research hypotheses can be derived from the "Questions to be answered*" in a study.

5. How many "Questions to be answered*" should a research study have?

The number of "Questions to be answered*" in a research study can vary. Some studies may have only one or two main questions, while others may have multiple questions that are interconnected and build upon each other. The important thing is that the questions are relevant, focused, and aligned with the research objectives. Too many or too few questions can impact the quality and validity of a study.