Diff EQs: Power Series vs Frobenius Solutions: Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between using the Frobenius method and the power series method to solve a differential equation of the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. While the Frobenius method can be used to find a solution around a regular singular point, it may not always be necessary. The power series method can also be successful in finding a solution, as shown in the example of the Bessel-like equation. The lack of explanation on this topic in introductory textbooks is also mentioned.
Saladsamurai
This is a pretty general conceptual question. I was just doing some reviewing for a test, and it occurred to me that if I were not told specifically to use Frobenius method on an equation, I might try to Power series solve it and vice versa. Can we talk about the difference a bit?

We apply both methods to the equation of the form: y'' + p(x)y' +q(x)y = 0

I know that using the Frobenius method has something to do with the fact that we can develop a solution about a regular singular point. But when would a power series solution fail where a Frobenius would not? It seems like we are taking a differential equation whose solution cannot be found due to singularities and forcing a solution from it by multiplying through by x2 and solving that equation instead.

Any thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a pity, there has not been any response to this question so far, since this issue is never explained properly by any introductionary textbook of ODEs, to the best of my knowledge. I suppose that the answer requires some background on complex DEs.

I would also like to point out, that the method is not always needed EVEN if we are looking for a solution in a neighboorhood of x0, where x0 is a regular singular point of p and q. For example, I cannot see, why the ordinary series method for the following Bessel-like equation: x2y''-xy'+(1-x)y=0 would fail! It delivers the same recursion formula as the solution with Frobenius method in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_method does.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between power series and Frobenius solutions in differential equations?

Power series solutions involve expanding the solution into a series of terms, while Frobenius solutions involve solving the equation using a special type of power series known as a Frobenius series.

2. When should I use a power series solution versus a Frobenius solution in a differential equation?

Power series solutions are typically used when the differential equation has regular singular points, while Frobenius solutions are used when the equation has irregular singular points.

3. Can both power series and Frobenius solutions be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, there are certain types of differential equations that can only be solved using one method or the other. It is important to identify the type of equation before deciding on a solution method.

4. Are there any advantages of using a power series solution over a Frobenius solution?

Power series solutions can often be calculated more easily and efficiently, especially for equations with regular singular points. However, Frobenius solutions can provide more accurate solutions for equations with irregular singular points.

5. How do I determine if a differential equation has a regular or irregular singular point?

A regular singular point is a point where the coefficients of the equation are analytic, while an irregular singular point is a point where the coefficients are not analytic. This can be determined by examining the form of the equation and its coefficients.