Material balance help, chemical engineering

In summary, the problem involves recovering toluene from a mixture of toluene and nitrogen by cooling the mixture at a constant pressure of 1.2 bar. The flow rate of the mixture into the condenser is 179 kmol h^-1 and the temperature is cooled to 25ºC. The data given includes the saturated vapor pressure of toluene at different temperatures. The solution involves using Dalton's law to calculate the mole fraction of the condensed toluene and then using a material balance to determine the flow rate of the liquid stream. The solution is not provided but a material balance diagram is attached for reference.
simon.23

Homework Statement

Toluene is recovered from a mixture of toluene and nitrogen (containing 52 mol% toluene) by cooling the mixture at constant pressure of 1.2 bar to condense out some of the toluene. If the flow rate of the mixture into the condenser is 179 kmol h-1, determine the flowrate of the condensed toluene if the mixture is cooled to a temperature of 25ºC in the condenser. Give your answer in kmol h-1 to an accuracy of one decimal place.

Data: The saturated vapour pressure of toluene in kPa (p*) at TºC is given by:

[tex] log_{10} (p*) = 6.0758-\frac{1342.31}{T +219.19} [/tex]

I have tired this question so many times, and I can't get the right answer, can anyone check my working and guide me as to where I am going wrong?

Thank you.

I know I need to use daltons law to work out the mole fraction first;

[tex] y_{v} = \frac{P^{o}_{v}}{P_{T}} [/tex]

where

[tex] y_{v} [/tex] = mole fraction.
[tex] P^{o}_{v} [/tex] = saturated vapour pressure

[tex] P_{T} [/tex] = total pressure1.2 bar = 120 Kpa

from the temperature given I can work out the sturated vapour pressure of tolunene, after being condensed, and hence the mole fraction.

[tex] log_{10} (p*) = 6.0758-\frac{1342.31}{25 +219.19} [/tex]

[tex] log_{10} (p*) = 0.56 [/tex]

[tex] p = 10^{0.56} = 3.79 kpa [/tex]

so mole fraction of condensed toluene;
[tex] y_{v} = \frac{3.79}{120} \times 100 = 3.16 mol \% [/tex]

so now I have to do a material balance to work out the flowrate of the liquid stream,

I will use a basis of 100 kmol h^{-1} ,ans scale up to 179kmol ^{-1} after the answer.

This is where I am stuck. My material balance just cancels out, I can't seem to make any equations out of it;

I have attached the material balance diagram, please can someone check it and let me know if it is correct?

Thank you.

Attachments

• condenser.png
    condenser.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
F_{m} = F_{in} = F_{L} + F_{V} 179 kmol h^{-1} = F_{L} + F_{V} Homework EquationsDaltons law of partial pressuresy_{v} = \frac{P^{o}_{v}}{P_{T}} The Attempt at a SolutionI have attached the material balance diagram, please can someone check it and let me know if it is correct? Thank you.

1. What is material balance in chemical engineering?

Material balance is a fundamental concept in chemical engineering that involves the conservation of mass and energy throughout a chemical process. It is used to track the flow of materials and energy through a system and ensure that the inputs and outputs are balanced.

2. Why is material balance important in chemical engineering?

Material balance is important because it allows engineers to design and optimize chemical processes, troubleshoot and identify sources of error, and ensure the safety and efficiency of the process. It also helps to minimize waste and reduce costs.

3. How do you perform a material balance?

To perform a material balance, you need to identify the system boundaries and the inputs and outputs of the process. Then, you can use the principle of conservation of mass and energy to set up and solve equations to track the flow of materials and energy through the system.

4. What are the common sources of error in material balance calculations?

Common sources of error in material balance calculations include inaccurate measurements, incomplete data, and assumptions made during the process. It is important to carefully consider all variables and sources of uncertainty to minimize error in the calculations.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy of material balance calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of material balance calculations, it is important to use reliable and accurate measurements, double-check all data and assumptions, and consider the effects of any uncertainties. It is also helpful to perform sensitivity analyses to determine the impact of any potential errors on the overall results.