Cosmological Inflationary Models

In summary, the conversation was about researching different cosmological models for a school project. The models mentioned were the Steinhardt Turok Model, Kaluza Klein, and braneworld cosmology. Other models discussed were the Pre Big Bang model, string/brane gas models, and inflation models. The person was specifically interested in non-eternal models and any reasons for their lack of widespread acceptance.
cansay27
I am doing a project in school and am looking up different cosmological models to research. I have found Steinhardt Turok Model, Kaluza Klein. I know these are not the best models, so I was wondering if there are any more specific models that I can look into.

Space news on Phys.org
Kaluza Klein is not a cosmological model per se -- it's an attempt at unifying the gravitational and electromagnetic force using extra dimensions.

Braneworld cosmology is a rather large area: Steinhardt and Turok's cyclic model is based on braneworlds -- in fact, it's an extension on the Ekpyrotic Universe. There are several other kinds of 'bouncing' or 'oscillating' universe models -- some based on branes some not. The Pre Big Bang model of Gasperini and Veniziano is a string theory-inspired bounce model. But these are not inflation models.

There are string/brane gas models, in which the early universe is postulated to have passed through a thermodynamic string/brane gas phase. Early developments are in papers by Tseytlin & Vafa and Brandenberger & Vafa.

Inflation is another general class of early universe theories. There are several different classes of inflation models, but perhaps the broadest distinction can be made between 'eternal' and non-eternal inflation.

Yes, I was hoping to find more information regarding any non-eternal models, any that do not cycle on forever. Also, if a reason for why the model or theory or whatever it may be is not more widely regarded.

1. What is cosmological inflation?

Cosmological inflation is a theory in cosmology that proposes a rapid and exponential expansion of the universe in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. It is believed to have occurred due to a hypothetical field called the inflaton field, which caused the universe to expand faster than the speed of light.

2. What is the evidence for cosmological inflation?

One of the main pieces of evidence for cosmological inflation is the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. The pattern of this radiation supports the idea of inflation, as it shows a near-perfectly uniform distribution across the entire universe.

3. How does cosmological inflation solve the horizon problem?

The horizon problem is the issue of how different regions of the universe, which are now too far apart to have ever been in contact, have the same temperature. Inflation solves this problem by allowing these regions to have been in contact before the rapid expansion, thus explaining the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background.

4. Are there different types of cosmological inflation models?

Yes, there are various models of cosmological inflation that have been proposed to explain different aspects of the universe. Some of the most well-known models include the chaotic inflation model, the new inflation model, and the eternal inflation model.

5. How does the concept of inflation relate to the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory suggests that there are multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. Inflation is often used to explain the existence of these parallel universes, as the rapid expansion during inflation could have created "bubbles" that eventually became separate universes with their own unique properties.